Printing without postscript

cassilly

Question

Reading through other postings I see lots of references to not needing to use postscript to print from Vectorworks. What do people mean by this. We work on Macs. Could we buy a non ps printer like the HP 500 and use it?

Is there a way to send a non-postscript file to the printer using the Mac version of Vectorworks? Is the Mac platform even an issue?

3 answers to this question

You could according to micro spot, buy a non PS printer with the hp/gl2 card and then drive it with xrip. A microspot sales guy told me this. However, in reading through several posts here, the hp 500 seems to be problematic with macs. Additionally If you had problems or issues with the set up, HP would most likey not help because of the non ps plotter so you would be stuck with microspot for tech support. Once you add all that up: xrip, hp/gl2 card, jet direct, the cost would be pretty close to a 500ps. But you already have xrip ? Talk with microspot but I personally hate to have 3rd party software driving someone elses product for tech support reasons. Unless you are stuck with no other option. Most techs would be saying "it is not our proplem it's the other guys" if you had issues.

i am considering purchasing an epson stylus 7600 plotter (24" wide format). does anyone know if this would require postscript within an existing ethernet connected mac based office? i was told that in order to use postscript, we would have to purchase pc based RIP software amounting to ? $2,000.

please let me know.

thanks.

sal