Plot to file problems with XRIP

Skia_D

Question

OS 10.2.8

1.25 G4 Dual Boot

VW 10.5

Xrip 1.6

I create Arch D plot files with Virtual Printer in the print center (HP750c driver) which I send to a local service bureau. They run them through Reprodesk 4.3 software onto an Oce 9800 using HP750c driver. I used to (and still) have no problem with sending plot files created in OS9 with GraphicPak, but with Xrip for some reason the plots end up shrinking in scale and show other very bad problems. I also sent files to another bureau in another state which uses Plotworks software and a Kip machine. Similar shrinking problems there. However, I have sent plot files to both Macroenter and a client who plot directly onto HP machines (a 430 and a 1055) and the plots work.

Macroenter says they don't know why this would be happening and I have a feeling I'm not going to get a solution from them.

I'd really like some suggestions as to what's going on here. Rebooting into OS9 to plot is a time-waster.

Also, I downloaded Gimp-print and Ghostscript, but don't see how to create a .plt file without a plotter actually connected to my machine (i.e Virtual Printer). Is it possible to do this with Gimp-print?

Help, please!

10 answers to this question

Go to the Print Center and add a new printer.

Use IP printing and use 111.111.111.111 as the IP address. From the printer list drop down, select Generic PS Printer.

Go to VW and select this printer in the Page Setup and Print dialog boxes. Make sure all settings are set to 100% (so nothing shrinks)

(You may need to set up a custom page size in Print Setup before going to Print)

In the Print dialog box, select print to file and see if that prints things with the correct page size.

Thanks, Katie. I tried it and it didn't quite work. There was a page orientation problem (only part of the plot came through). I'm 99% sure I had the correct orientation/page setup/custom page size.

That being said, I also ran a Postscript file using Gimp-print and Ghostscript. This worked.

For anybody else's edification who reads this, the problem with the bureau's Reprodesk software may be fixed by an upgrade (4.30.4). Apparently there were some problems with 4.30 reading some HPGL files. I will follow up when my local bureau gets 4.30.4 to test.

Also, all of this raises the question: did I waste my money buying XRip? Can anyone tell me a good reason to have/keep XRip for plotting to file when Gimp-print/Ghostcsript are available for free? I'd really like to know the answer to this question. I sure wish the trial period hadn't expired! But oh well, maybe others can be steered clear of useless, money-wasting software if no one does have a good reason.

And one more question for you, Katie: Is what you suggested I do re: the IP address 111.111.111.111 any different from what MacHelp says:

quote:

To save a PostScript file, choose the printer named "localhost" in the Print dialog and set the Output Options to save a PostScript file.

To give the printer a better name, deselect "Use Default Queue on Server" and type a name in the Queue Name field when you add the printer. Leave the address as "localhost."

?

It looks like it's about the same thing. Except my way you are setting up a Generic Post Script printer with a real post script driver made by Apple.

I think the Apple suggestion doesn't use the generic printer but uses the default printer you have installed.

Yes, it is a waste of money to buy xrip when gimp & ghost work and are free. However, Microspot has been supporting the Mac platform for years with drivers for plotters so you can look at it like your supporting a good company. There used to be no other option for plot drivers for the mac, so I would hate to have microspot go bankrupt. Gimp & ghost also have no tech support other than a message board so at least you can talk to someone on the phone with xrip which can be worth it in some situations. I also think xrip has an option for a network solution so if you want to spool off prints to a print server you can and keep on working without any slow down. Although with OSX and todays macs, multitasking does not seem to slow down things to bad. Gimp & Ghost are somewhat unique. Thanks to people at source forge for writing software for free and to HP for letting their software go open source. G & G are also part of panther OSX 10.3 so you can get them when you upgrade to panther. I suspect that when Apple came out with OSX, microspot came in to fill a niche that they always had. But apple went with the cups print drivers from the unix world which is good for the public because there's a tradition in the unix world for sharing open source software. Bad for Microspot because it kind of pulled the rug out from them since they cannot compete too competatively with free software.

I guess I would have to say that I have used MicroSpot's software for several years now and have never had one problem with the software. I started using MicroSpot after I gave up on HP's RIP software.

HP makes great printers (I have three-455CA, Business Inkjet 2600, and a 5500), but their software for the 455CA always managed to corrupt itself after using it for a while without any notice and with no reason. I know that I am not the only one that had these problems from the many posts I've seen.

I am now using Mac OS 10.2.8 with VW 10.5.1 and XRip with no problems. I tried to use Gimp Print, but could never get it to work. I guess I would have to say time is money and MicroSpot's products have only cost me money and not time. Any product that I don't have to continually mess with is the one I will continue to use.

Note they didn't pay to say this, but hey, if they give me my next upgrade for free, I won't argue!

quote:

I guess I would have to say that I have used MicroSpot's software for several years now and have never had one problem with the software.

GraphicPak worked just fine for me, too, under OS8 & 9.

quote:

I am now using Mac OS 10.2.8 with VW 10.5.1 and XRip with no problems.

Like I said in my original Post I too am on OS10.2.8 and VW 10.5, and I didn't have a problem sending a .plt file to a client's HP430. My problem is at the service bureau. Do you create plot files to send to service bureaus? If you do, would you mind running through your procedure for creating the .plt? Maybe I'm missing something.

What I've done:

I have a Mac G4/733 running 1028 megs RAM, VW, and Xrip to my Encad CadJet machine.

I merely set up my Generic HP-RTL to virtual print to a folder in my computers and it saves files with an xrip suffix, which I change to .plt.

I retain the settings I worked very hard to obtain for the Cadjet.

I found that, with the sheet settings, I had to go beyond the preset borders for 24 x 36 D sheet, and for the C sheet as well, to get the proper size I wanted. Once solved for the Encad, this solution also worked for the virtual print file.

I didn't use the presets that came with X-rip. I believe this is key.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Go to the Print Center and add a new printer.

Use IP printing and use 111.111.111.111 as the IP address. From the printer list drop down, select Generic PS Printer.

Sorry but I didn't understand if you get e .PLT file out of that precess. I tried this procedure with VW Viewer 10.5 but seems to get no file (or is saved somewhere I don't find it..)

Can you elaborate on this?

Thanks!