DJ800PS not printing grayed out layers

Thomas Ames

Question

10 answers to this question

Thank you George. I just checked HP's site again. One ends up with the same driver, 5.34, whether one chooses 800 (42 in), Windows XP or 800PS (42 inch) Windows XP.

I notice that you are using VWA 10.0.1. Hard to believe that would fix the problem compared to VWA 10.0.0. I will see what I can do to update to that.

I'm awaiting a call back from NNA tech support. I spent a good deal of time on phone with them Tuesday, January 20th.

It's the same driver for the PS and the non-ps, rip, windows certified driver, and the AutoCad driver. And you wonder why there are problems with the driver! [smile]

When you install the printer driver, make sure you specify the 800ps and not the plain ol 800.

Thomas,

I forgot to update my profile, I am currently

running VWA10.5.1 on XP.

There is a separate PS driver for the 800PS.

Go to the HP website under drivers for XP

the last driver is

"HP DesignJet Printer Driver (PostScript)"

it is a 14MB file, this is the driver I was

referring to.

George C.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Ames:

Thank you George. I just checked HP's site again. One ends up with the same driver, 5.34, whether one chooses 800 (42 in), Windows XP or 800PS (42 inch) Windows XP.

I notice that you are using VWA 10.0.1. Hard to believe that would fix the problem compared to VWA 10.0.0. I will see what I can do to update to that.

I'm awaiting a call back from NNA tech support. I spent a good deal of time on phone with them Tuesday, January 20th.

Hi George, I have successfuly completed the install of the driver (PS Driver V4.00. I even see the grayed out layer, although it is very, very faint. However, now, there's a rotation problem. I'm using a 36" wide roll. I selected ARCH D. The title boxes come out first, at the bottom, using only 24 inches of width. I cannot manage to rotate the output to save my life! The Page Layout/Rotate bullet option does not "stick". What seems even more odd is that there is no 24" x 36" paper width in the pull-down options, as there was with the previous driver. I may have to forego the grayed layers for horizontal 36 x vertical 24 output.

Thomas,

Since your roll is 36" wide you do not need to

have the plot rotated. Make sure that you see

"Portrait" selected under Printing

Preferences/Layout and that rotation is not

checked under Printing Preferences/Page Layout.

If all the other rotation settings fail. You

can define a custom page size in

Printing Preferences - Layout Tab - Advanced

(see the lower right side of the dialog)

Under "Paper Size" select

"Postscript Custom Page Size", here you can

define a page size 36" wide x 24" high or the

other way around depending on the rotation issue.

HTH,

George C.

George, here's progress: Managed to get to HP Large Printer Support this morning. They said to go back to driver 5.34 and also update firmware. Once installed, they tweaked both. The result is that grayed layers really show, and Arch D works with correct orientation. The only thing left wanting would be to get the output to come out rotated 180 to be able to "read it" as it prints. Sheet titles have come out on the left since day one.... we can live with this one. HP says to not use PS with CAD. That is why they have us back to the non-PS driver. This was the first time since the 800 came out, that we have not had to fight for useable output.

Katie, for what it is worth, current firmware for 800 machines is DJ800_A0208 and HP says we should be using Driver 5.34 [smile]