hp designjet 800 and windows 2000 print problem

Mark Jones

Question

I have a number of PCs connected via a network to a dj800 printer. Most of the PC's have w98 installed and print fine. However a couple have w2k installed and will not print out a complete drawing (even though the same drawing prints fine from w98.

The version of vectorworks is 8.5.1

thanks

Mark

5 answers to this question

It's the driver. The driver is different for Win 98 and Win2k.

I assume the problem you are having is text blocks dropping, black blobs, objects being dropped, etc.

It's actually related to memory problems in the memory on board the printer. The printer runs out of memory to print everything.

VW 10 has a raster print feature that alleviates this problem.

Saw this discussin and wondered if you could help.

I have been using the VW10.x on Mac OSX since May last year, and I have experienced a number of problems with simple tasks.

One major draw-back is that it has taken me since May to print to my HP Designjet 800PS properly, has half the time I get a 'PS Stream Error'. This has not yet been permanently sorted but a VW9 printing script does seem to fix it short term (until the next I try to print)

I wondered if anyone know of a permanent remedy to this problem?? [Frown][Confused]

The PS stream error message is usually related to something in the drawing, or font problems on the computer, or memory problems if you are spooling while working in VW and have limited memory in the computer.

The first thing you want to do is update to the latest version of VW 10 to give you a stable printing environment.

THe next thing you want to do is run Disk Utility (in the Utility folder). Verify AND Fix disk permissions should be run.

THEN, download Font Doctor or some other font repair utility. It will check for corrupted fonts, duplicate sets, or font suitcases with missing components.

After that's all done, and the font issue has been resolved - you shouldn't have the PS Stream Error any longer.

It works in WIn 98 because the file that gets spooled by the printer is many times smaller than the resulting spool file created with the driver and Win 2k.

There is no way around the problem unless you update to VW 10 and use raster print, or buy a different printer.