Updated Instrument Libraries

You can import a dxf as a symbol in VW 10.

Use Black and White only instead of colors and import as 3d only. Make sure the units (feet and inches or inches) are set correctly.

Once it's a symbol, you can import it into your working document.

Is Vectorworks going to release updated libraries for lighting instruments? I think that it would really be helpful if you all did. For instance, I need to find and/or make a 3d/2d hybrid for a VL 1000. Many lighting instruments are released all the time by the various manufacturers. Is any effort being made to make sure that the libraries that come with Vectorworks are also updated?

Thanks

The problem with doing this is that you end up with a very complex drawing with many lines. I Know that you can import a dfx symbol into Vectorworks but often what you end up with is something that is very dirty looking. If Vectorworks were to periodically update their symbols, it would be very helpful. I realize that ofter times you need to wait for information to come to ffrom the manufacturer but with the pace of developments in light design, I am surprised that no updates are released. I did not even notice an update to the library between version 9.5.3 and 10. So back to my original question, is Vectorworks going to release updated libraries for lighting instruments?

Josh

There is also manpower and time to convert the symbols - usually in dxf format as you've discovered, in order for them to function like other Spotlight symbols in the program.

The symbols in the program now took several people a really long time to convert.

We are always working on expanding the library files, however we can only do as much as humanly possible with the 24 hour days.

If you figure it takes about an hour ( to clean up one or two light dxf symbols .. stretch it over thousands of objects ... you are looking at several thousand hours of work.

We are wroking to enhance the symbol library every day.

[ 04-01-2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]