DESIGNJET 488CA

defjef

Question

6 answers to this question

The HP software is difficult to set up and use. It will only work in OS9. If you want to use it in OSX then you need to use Gimpprint or Xrip. Gimp is free, Xrip cost money. I have had good results with Gimp. Sometimes it is a little difficult to set up depending on the jet direct print server. I have had a 455 (older version of the 488) for years now and the hardware is fine, no problems. These comments are for a Mac platform. I don't know about a PC. All plotters take more work to setup than desk inkjets

I have had good luck with the HP plotter software on my PC. I am running both XP & NT machines and VW Spotlight with my DJ 430C. I have had some problems with the ammount of Ram in the plotter, with big light plots, so I go and switch to the print option (Advanced Properties) "in computer" and not dumping it all to the plotter. It says it might take longer this way but I haven't seen much difference.

More Plotter ram does not help on a mac system. HP tech guys told me that after a HP sales guy sucked me into buying it. Putting more ram in the computer makes more sence for a Mac. I guess the plotter ram only works on a PC system. If you do get the plotter ram buy it from a internet ram supplyer not HP because they will charge you big bucks for something that should be cheap in todays ram market.

Thanks again for the info. I won the plotter on ebay for $670 which seemed like an excellent price... considering color D sized plots were costing $9 a sheet...I am awaiting its arrival. Once it arrives I will see how things work out and post my OWN experiences.