HP deskjet1220c and VW10 print problem

mm

Question

I tried to upgrade to Mac Os10.2 and VW 10 at the same time. My I.T. guy worked for two days trying to get VW10 to print to my HP Deskjet 1220c ( 11x17 format) without success. He believed that Mac OS10.2 was the problem . He was trying to use Ghostwriter as a driver. This week he was going to uninstall OS10.2 but as an experiment I installed VW10 on an OS9.2.2 MAC and discovered that it had the same printing problem. The problem seems to be that VW 10 does not recognize any paper size other than letter, 8 1/2" x 11. In both VW 8.5 and VW 10 I have the document size set at ArchD and in the Hp 1220c Page Set Up box I have set it to tabloid- landscape- 50% scale. In the HP 1220c print dialog box VW 8.5 shows that it is printing to a tabloid size sheet but in VW10 it shows it is printing to a letter size sheet ( ignoring the page set up ). Only a 8 1/2" x 11 section of the VW 10 file is printed and that is printed about 2 inches down and off the boundaries of the sheet of paper. Is there a fix for this bug. thanks

10 answers to this question

I talked to HP first they said that since it works with VW 8.5.4 it is has got to be a VW10 bug not a printer problem. Also it is difficult to talk to them because they don't really know ( neither do i ,neither does my I.T. guy) exactly what kind of printer support VectorWorks needs. Is there a fact sheet regarding exactly and technically what kind of output

VW10 generates. Thanks

VW 8.5.4 doesn't even exist. If they menat 8.5.2, that is not a carbonized application. Hp should have a copy of VW 9 and VW 10 as I am almost 99.9% sure we sent them a copy of both.

The problem under OS 9 - VW 9.5 and later are carbonized applications. The print driver for that printer is not fully carbon compatible, which HP should be able to tell you as well.

You cannot create page sizes larger than 8.5x11 with the driver for that printer when pritning with carbonized applications. You may not see this in other applications because they may not be carbonized applications.

Carbonized means the program is native to OS 10 but will run under OS 9 in combination with the Carbon Lib system extension provided by apple.

I believe you can ues the DeskJet 5550 driver with the 1220c to get page sizes larger than letter, but that needs to be verified with HP.

Under OS 10 - again, you run into the problem of the print driver not being fully compatible iwth OS 10. Using the 5550 driver again here should allow you to print larger than letter.

One other thing, if you call HP and they have no idea what you are talking about when you say carbonized - ask to speak with one of their mac techs. Some of the people there are strictly PC and others are combination PC and Mac.

[ 07-11-2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

I have a HP 1220 via jet direct print server, OS10.2.6, VWKS 9.5.3 The 1220 works fine abet a little slower than in OS9.2 All page sizes show up fine in the page setup dialog box. OS10.2 needs to be at least 10.2.4 and you must have the latest driver version for the HP 1220 for it to work properly. It will not work unless you have the latest OS and print drivers.

Hi

I have a customer running Vectorworks V10.1.2 running on WinXP Proff. They have an HP 1220 and cannot print from the app to the printer. There short term works around is to print to Adobe Reader first and then print - but I am concerned that they are losing resolution.

Any ideas? I have logged a call with HP and they are insisting that this is Vectorworks issue.

Can any one help?

Regards

NCD

NCD,

They need to email me to get the driver that will work. The problem they are having iwth crashing is a driver problem.

I can email the driver to them .. no problem.

They can also get the semi-latest driver from HP.com website. They'll need to remove the driver first.

HP should be aware of this problem as it happens wiht just about all applications until the new driver is installed.

tech@nemetschek.net

Subject: attn: Katie

PLease have them include a description of the email request in the email .. otherwise I'll never make the connection between this post and that email.

[ 07-14-2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

NCD,

They need to email me to get the driver that will work. The problem they are having iwth crashing is a driver problem.

They can also get the semi-latest driver from HP.com website. They'll need to remove the driver first.

HP should be aware of this problem as it happens wiht just about all applications until the new driver is installed.

tech@nemetschek.net

PLease have them include a description of the email request in the email .. otherwise I'll never make the connection between this post and that email.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

NCD,

tech@nemetschek.net

Hi Katie,

We have some 16 VW 10 licenses and are running them with Win 2000 exclusively. We have never been able to plot to our 5 HP 1220C printers - HP have come up with the usual line that it's a VW problem rather than an HP problem. We also run Microstation and a full range of Adobe products, all of which can print to the HP 1220c's without a problem...

If you have a magic driver we could really use it!

Thanks

THe updated printer driver should be on HP's website.

If you are using XP - remove the printer in the printers folder in the control panel before printing.

If you are on Win2k, you'll need to contact HP and have them walk you thru the steps to remove this printer. It involves removing entries in the registry among other things.

This will need to be done before the new driver can be installed and setup.