VW 10.1.2: HP Deskjet 1220C "Print Settings Confirmation", Cancel print bug...

Ronan Fitzgerald

Question

Hi,

If you are using VW 10.1.2, with a DeskJet 1220C, with the option to "Show print settings confirmation", and cancel a print job through the "Print Settings Confirmation" window; the next time you try to print to that printer, the print progress dialog appears very briefly, the disappears, and you are unable to print. This is only fixed by sending the print to another printer. This affects not only that printer, but also any other printer you may have set up that uses that port.

Our setup:

VW 10.1.2

Windows 2k Pro

Driver: v2.1 as supplied by Nemetschek support (thanks Katie)

3 port JetDirect using IPX/SPX

2x DeskJet 1220C & LaserJet 6P (all on the same Jet Direct box mentioned above, and all individually set up on each computer).

Ports created using HP's JetDirect Port.

Test drawing: Blank sheet with one line added.

If you need any further details, then just ask.

Best regards

Ronan

8 answers to this question

Hi Katie,

This only seems to happen within VW. When I close VW and restart it works again, until the next time I cancel a print. It is also happening on at least one other PC in our office. I can try it on further machines if you need me to.

Also, if you choose to use just the print preview option for that printer, and cancel from there, it doesn't happen. It only happens with the print settings confirmation dialog.

I tried sending multiple prints and allowing them through, and as soon as I cancelled one, it failed to print any subsequent attempts.

Also, to test, I set up a dummy printer using the same network port as one of our 1220Cs, and cancelled that one. The printer it was faking stopped working, but not the other one on our network. I then tried it the other way around, faking the other printer, and the same behavour was exhibited for that printer this time, so it could seem to be something to do with the IPX/SPX connection or the JetDirect box, but it is only affecting VW, just like the other issues we have seen with plotters, they may be errors relating to the drivers or hardware, but as they are only affecting VW, it suggests VW should be updated to overcome the problem.

Best regards

Ronan Fitzgerald

Hi,

If you are using VW 10.1.2, with a DeskJet 1220C, with the option to "Show print settings confirmation", and cancel a print job through the "Print Settings Confirmation" window; the next time you try to print to that printer, the print progress dialog appears very briefly, the disappears, and you are unable to print. This is only fixed by sending the print to another printer. This affects not only that printer, but also any other printer you may have set up that uses that port.

Our setup:

VW 10.1.2

Windows 2k Pro

Driver: v2.1 as supplied by Nemetschek support (thanks Katie)

3 port JetDirect using IPX/SPX

2x DeskJet 1220C & LaserJet 6P (all on the same Jet Direct box mentioned above, and all individually set up on each computer).

Ports created using HP's JetDirect Port.

Test drawing: Blank sheet with one line added.

If you need any further details, then just ask.

Best regards

Ronan

Is it only happening with the 1220c?

I guess the better question is, can you try this and see if you get the same results with other printers as well?

Hi Katie,

Have done so already. The other printers we have are a Brother HL-1470, LaserJet 6P and DesignJet 500. They don't have a Print Settings Confirmation, thus I am unable to test it with them.

Remember, it works fine if it is set to just do a print preview. It is only with the Print Settings Confirmation dialog that the problem occurs...

This is interresting.

THe HP 1220c is a problem printer across the board on just about every OS. I think Win 98 is the only one where every option for the printer works sucessfully.

Macs have a handful of problems with this printer too.

I am going to send this information to our print engineer to see if it's something in VW or if it's something in the driver or what it may be. That is not an expected behaviour of the printer, but I am glad you've been able to find a way to workaround the problem!! Thanks for the work and information (and patience!!)

Hi Katie,

Yeah, I know its a problem printer, it took long enough to get the appropriate drivers (supplied by yourself, thanks) for windows XP to stop VW crashing. I'm guessing the problem is in VW, whereby it probably thinks the dialog is still open or something silly. It isn't an urgent problem, and I'm guessing as it has only just been noticed, that it won't be fixed soon, so I'll inform the users of it, and ask them to work around it.

Best of luck.

Ronan