Printing to Adobe Acrobat 5.0

Jason C

Question

Okay, so I did a search on the boards and found a lot of people with problems dealing with printing from Vectorworks 9.5 to Adobe Acrobat 5.0 on windows XP machines, but i could not find a definitive answer to the problem.

As stated, I am trying to print a 24x36 inch file to Acrobat distiller... it think i am doing everything right, but it shows up in the .pdf file with the actual data from vectorworks shifted half off the left hand side of the page. Also, absolutly no text appears in the file.

Anyone have any solutions to this problem? I am trying to assemble a portfolio and am quite desperate for an answer to this problem.

thanks!

Go to FIle>Print Set up. Can you select a D size sheet in here?

If so, select the D sheet size here and under Set Print Area -set that to One Page.

SEe if that works.

okay... in page(print) setup, i couldnt specifically select arch d, but i could set a custom page size (i did 36x24). I then set the page area to one page, but still no dice. Just to note, its not making the page size wrong, it just looks like it is shifting it off the left edge of the page and not printing any of the text. Frustrating, itsnt it? [Wink]

Thanks,

Jason

Go to the Page menu and select Set Print Area.

Is this set to one page?

If it's not -- select one page.

Then go back to the drawing and make sure teh grey print boundary border is around your drawing - at least the part you want.

If it's not, use the move page tool to position it around the drawing correctly.

it was on one page, and the grey box was positioned correctly. yeesh this is tough [Wink] I guess i should also mention this only happens when printing to distiller with vectorworks... distiller works fine with other programs and vectorworks works fine when just printing to my normal printer.

thanks again,

Jason

You shouldn't be having this problem with VW though. I can't reproduce the problem with the same setup.

Try to create a 24x36 custom page size and print it in landscape. See if that works.

Also make sure you don't have Print Current View checked by accident in the print menu.

[ 06-05-2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Can you try it with a new document and draw a plain rectangle.

See if it cuts off part of the rectangle when the rectangle is fully inside of the print boundary border.

Ok,

made the new file, set the page set up to be 36 x 24, then Set Print area to one page. put only a rectangle in there well w/in the print border and it did it again.

I did try an 11x17 file and that went to pdf fine... text and all... i'm confused.

HURRAY!!!!!

It worked. Set it to 300dpi, and we have a winner. Quite odd little bug/feature there. Also set back to 1200dpi and it checked out... no dice for 1200dpi. Well, I guess i'll just have to remember to always run distiller files at 300dpi.

Thanks sooooooooo much for your help and patience [smile]

Jason

Fantastic.

You may also be able to use 600dpi.

I don't know what it is about the 1200 dpi that makes it act wacky .. but it came to me in the middle of the night one night ... if you can believe that.

We have VW9.5.2, W2000, Adobe 6, and was having the same problem with text. I had set the dpi up to 1200. Set it back to 300dpi, and it was a go!

Reminder: to check the printer dpi in -

print setup / adobe pdf-properties / paper quality - advanced button.

Make sure that is set to 300dpi, if like me, you had gone in and upped it to 1200 [Roll Eyes]

I am having the same exact problem with the same size drawing. I can also print to PDF fine at smaller sizes, but not at 24 X 36 or 36 X 36, but changing the Distiller resolution to 300 dpi dose not help at all. I am using VW 9.0.1 and Adobe 6. Any suggestions?