print crash

cherie

Question

we are now having even more problems. my file crashed when prompted to print and when i sent them as pdf's to our print house they got error messages and could not print as well. when i view the pdfs i sent all sorts of info was missing. we cannot print out this job and we have a meeting in 10 min. and now, we are becoming more and more frustrated with this program because of all the problems we are encountering. i know others on this board have talked of a difficult adjustment period but this just seems a bit much. if things do not get resolved soon, we will have to look at another cadd option. we're just loosing too much production time.

cherie

vw architect 10.1/osX.2.4

9 answers to this question

Cherie, most of the problems you've had are exclusive to your environment.

When printing and crashing - what printer are you printing to?

When creating PDF files - are you using the OS pdf creator or are you using Adobe Distiller?

What do you have for the printer when printing to PDF?

What type of message do you get?

katie,

"When printing and crashing - what printer are you printing to?"

hp color inkjet CP1700 & epson stylus color 800 (prior to today i had printed on the hp using vectorworks and i printed from the epson today from netscape)

"When creating PDF files - are you using the OS pdf creator or are you using Adobe Distiller?"

i'm using the 0S pdf creater (i tried 2 ways: print/save as pdf/save....and.....print/output options/save as file/pdf format/save. on this last option the postscript format was not hightlighted or i would have tried that route as well).

"What do you have for the printer when printing to PDF?"

either printer has been in the window in the past with no problems. i have sent pdfs to our print house before with the only problem being that the fonts were not what we had used.

"What type of message do you get?"

the application has unexpectedly quit. i'm crashing in every program now upon printing.

If it's crashing in every program, it's not VW causing the problem, but the printer itself.

Go to Print Center and remove the printer. Then set the printer back up.

If the crashing persists in all applications, you will need to contact Apple.

katie,

turns out that each computer sharing the printer via rendezvous had to have the same version of the printer driver installed. it's working now.

i had another question concerning .plt files. you had posted this on 2.21.03:

(snip)

"Creating a PS or PRN/PLT File

PostScript and Plot or Print files are a way to print your drawing in VW to a file which you can then send to a service bureau for printing purposes.

You will need a print driver installed on your computer that allows you to print as files. Generally, Post Script printers provide this support. A common printer driver we suggest is the HP 755 driver (PC) or PPD with LaserWriter or Adobe Post Script (Mac). This driver has not posed any major printing problems that we know of. Of course, it?s always a good idea to check with your service bureau to see what type of printer they will be printing to. If you know the printer they will be using, in most cases, you will able to install that print driver /PPD on your computer. If you are able to install the print driver/PPD file on your computer, you should use that option. If you can?t install it on your computer due to needing additional ripping software, the HP 755 should do the trick.

Once you have the print driver installed on your computer, you will be able to Print to File from within the Print menu.

Go to File>Page Setup. Specify the correct setting. Ensure the drawing reflects these settings.

Then, go to File>Print.

PC Users ?

In the Print dialog box you should see a Print to File checkmark box somewhere near the upper right hand corner of the dialog screen. Checkmark this box.

When you click on Print, a Save as dialog box will appear. Specify the full path name to where you want the file to be saved starting at c:\.

Clicking on OK will generate the print file and save it to your computer per the above location.

Mac OS 9 Users ?

In the Print dialog box, you should see a drop down box that says Destination:

Select File from the drop down box.

When you click on Save, a save dialog box will appear. Select the location the file will be saved to as well as a name and click on Save.

This will generate the print file and save it to the location on your computer you specified.

OS 10 Users -

In the Print dialog box there is a drop down box. Select Output Options.

Checkmark ?Save as File? and set the Format to ?PostScript?.

Click on Save.

Select the destination folder you want to save it in and click on Save again."

(snip)

my print bureau told me to use the driver for an hp 650c (i've had a few problems with the pdf files there so i'm looking into other options). keeping in mind what you had said about creating a ps or prn/plt file, will i need to use macplot or something like it to make these files? also, before i've noticed that the postscript option in print/output options/save as file has been grayed out. why would that be?

also any word on that buggy file i sent?

cherie

vw archiect 10.1/osX.2.4

YOu can get the 650 driver from Hp's website if it's not already built into the OS.

If you go to print and the Print to PS option is grayed out, you do not have a PS printer selected at the moment.

You can only print to PS with a PS printer selected.

You can also install a generic printer in the print center which is Post Script and create the PS file from that. The bureau should still be able to use that file to print.

As far as MacPlot - if you go to their page, you'll see something called XRip. This is the OS 10 version of the ripping software.

[ 05-05-2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

katie,

i checked hp's website for the 650c driver but it is not supported on osX so, i downloaded the 755cm driver as you had suggested. i must be missing some thing because i cannot seem to find this option in print center when adding a printer. also, how would i go about adding a generic printer?

The OS 10 user's manual can walk you thru how to add printers and remove printers thru the print center - even printers that are not on a network or attached to your computer.

In Print Center click on Add.

Select IP printing.

Type in an IP address that is bogus like 111.111.111.111

Where it says Printer model - select Generic.

That will install a Generic PS printer allowing you to create ps files.

The DJ 650c is built into the OS which is why you don't see it at Hp's website.

You can set up an instance in Print Center for this the same way as above.