random solid black plots

Dietmar Lorenz

Question

Hello there

I'm running VWA 9.5.2 on PC. Since switching to XP Pro, plots sometimes come out solid black, wasting a lot of ink. The plotter is an HP 430 D, there were no problems on Windows ME. I'm not sure if this is related to Vectorworks at all, like an incompatibility with the XP driver. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dietmar

6 answers to this question

Katie,

Thanks for your prompt response. I'm using the HP 4.63 driver. The black printing occurs somewhat randomly, sometimes it plots just fine. There are typically a few inches of "normal" printing before the rest of the sheet turns black. I noticed, that often the text in these few non-solid-black inches is scrambled (all letters jammed together on the same origin). I don't know if that gives you a hint what the problem might be.

Dietmar

When you go to print, let the blue progress bar complete before you click on anything.

If you click on anything while that blue progres bar is going, you can get that result iwth bunched text.

The black blobs - are they patterns or normal objects?

The other thing that can cause the scrunched text is a corrupt font in the fonts folder.

Katie,

thanks for the tip with the blue bar, I'll keep that in mind. The main problem, however, seems to persist: some prints turn solid black after a few inches. it may print ok through half of the title block (typically with uncorrupted text), after that, it prints a solid black sheet. the black area is not limited to blobs, patterns or objects; it fills the complete printable area (some 22"x34" of wasted ink). My printer setup is set to process the print in the computer (so it won't run out of memory, and it's set to spool, rather than print directly). I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Dietmar

You either have an older driver or the AutoCad driver installed. At least, that is what it sounds like.

GO to hp.com and download version 4.63 for htis printer.

Plase let me know if you currently have this exact driver version installed.