printing pdf files and using overlay mode

Marietta

Question

I wanted to send pdf files to our printers (they charge extra if we send VW files directly). The printers use a HP500 postscript driver to process the pdfs. We have found that any white polygon or rectangle with no lines are printing out as a greyed or toned polygon instead. These do not show up on our printers if printing the same pdf files (Laserwriter pro and Epson 1280 Inkjet). I have created the pdf files in MAC OS 10.2.4 using the pdf option in the print dialogue box. Do I need to use a different method of creating pdf's?

Also, I tried printing a colour rendering using an overlay mode on one of the layers. It would not print out properly (no fills/colours in objects in the overlay mode layer) or would not create a proper pdf file. This was done on MACOS10.2.4 and VW 10.1. But this printed out fine in VW9 using MACOS 9. Is this a problem with the MACOS10?

2 answers to this question

Under OS 10 QuickDraw is not supported so you cannot get transparency when creating PDF files.

Overlay layer modes are considered a form of transparency.

You are seeing this under OS 10 and not under OS 9 becuase you are using two different mechanisims to create PDF files.

THe PDF utility that comes with OS 10 is a stripped down type of PDF file. To get a true PDF file, you should use Adobe Distiller.

[ 04-23-2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]