Roll size on HP455CA

JRoth

Question

OK, so I did the whole Ghostscript/Gimp-print thing for my OSX.2.4 G3 on a Windows network, and it worked beautifully.

EXCEPT (you knew that was coming) it printed my D-size sheet the wide way on 24" roll paper. I can't find anywhere to make this adjustment. I mean, yes, I could set it to Portrait and it would presumably feed correctly, but that's stupid. My sheet is in Landscape format, but I need it to rotate when printing, not work on it sideways.

Help, anyone?

11 answers to this question

The rotation or paper saver function is a function of a print driver.

I am pretty sure you cannot use gimp print, at least not with the older model printers to execute the rotation.

Whoa.

So this is, like, close to useless? We almost always run 24" rolls, so if I want to print, I need to switch out the roll?

Why was this never a problem with PCs or RIP? They're able to deal with this with the same aged plotter.

This is a major problem. I'm not sure I can justify switching anyone here to OSX. How has this not come up in any of the discussions I've read about Gimp?

Sorry, I'm just baffled and distressed. Criminy.

I am not sure I understand the problem. i am using OS10.2, and a 455CA.

Under page setup you have a choice of printer, paper size, and three orientation buttons. By manipulation of these items you can get whatever rotation you wish.

There seem to be more choices than I need, but I can get it to work. I did notice though that on my last plot, the paper cutter cut to the end of the image and not to the selected paper size. Kurt has experienced this as he has described in other posts.

I suspect that there is a certain combination that yields difference between "paper saving mode" and full sheets. By the way, certain versions of Gimp Print have the Arch D size hidden under 24" x 36". This is the size I use and have no problems other than what I described.

As an added thought. Sometimes you have to reset the print area in Vectorworks. (Page>Set Print Area). After setting up page setup, I then use Set Print Area and drag the grey print box diagonally and then back. This resets the print area to the selected Page Setup size.

Hope this helps. I just ran 30 24" x 36" sheets under VW9.5 with no problem.

Kevin are you using portrait or landscape mode in File>Page Setup?

I think JR roth is trying to print a landscape layout rotated 90 when printing to save paper.

Basically the page size is 36 across and 24 down. But when it prints, everything is rotated and printed sideways to save paper and fit the 24" roll.

I just looked in the setup for the 455ca using gimp and I couldn't find a way to get the rotation to go at printing time.

[ 04-10-2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Hi Katie;

My page size is 36" wide and 24" high. Therefore I choose to print in landscape mode. It is the only way to print a sheet this size on a printer that has a 24" throat.

What I have not tried yet is to print a 24" wide by 18" high page. In this case I would want to rotate the image so that final output is 24x18. Otherwise it would print 24x24.

I will try to print a 24x18 image and see if there is a problem. I used to do this all the time using the HP RIP.

Katie,

In my copy of Gimp the standard paper sizes for the selected printer are listed under Page Attributes. However, by using the pull down menu the next item is Custom Paper Size.

Set the page size to suit the VW page layout, and the rotate icons to suit the plotter.

Skip

Katie,

In my copy of Gimp the standard paper sizes for the selected printer are listed under Page Attributes. However, by using the pull down menu the next item is Custom Paper Size.

Create a new entry and set the page size to suit the VW page layout [length x height], and then use the rotate icons to suit the plotter/roll width.

Skip

I ran two test prints using a 24" x 18" image. It ran fine as expected as far as orientation. I chose "ArchC Transverse" as the paper size. For orientation I chose "Portrait" which is the first of the three graphics with radio buttons.

As a second test I changed the orientation to "Landscape", the second radio button. It did not print properly, as I would have expected.

My suggestion is to experiment. Hopefully you now know that what you want to do is possible. You just need to find the right combination of settings.