DesignJet 230 w/ Mac

Greg

Question

I just inherited an old Designjet 230 which does work. I use Mac's in my office and need to make a connection from the printer to my network. I understand I need a print driver in addition to the software driver. I read a lot on the discussions about Gimp print but I'm looking for a recommendation on a print driver (hardware) for this old beast. I'm happy to buy an old one from Ebay I just want to make sure I know what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

Whether you are running it on OS 9 or OS 10, it's not supported directly by Hp.

You will need RIP software if you are running under OS 9 or OS 10.

MicroSpot offers rip software solutions for this need. Their product is called MacPlot and X Rip (OS 10.x only).

Please note, there are two different programs for OS 9 and OS 10. If you are planning on going to OS 10 in the near future, you might want to make the jump now and get that.

Gimp Print is only for OS 10. It's a print application that runs from the terminal allowing you to print to printers no longer supported by the manufacturer.

This software does support the 230, but at an operational level. Full Operation is not currently listed by that plotter on their web page.

greg:

get a hp jetdirect print server only. I have heard of problems with others. I have a router with a printer port but never got it to work. the only way you can hook up a new mac to the plotter is by a ethernet connection. check hp for which model works with your plotter. you can by them on ebay for around $50-70 bucks. probably a 300ex. do not buy a triple because only the 1st port works on a mac. if you want to run OSX then you need the lastest firmware. most likely if you buy on ebay it will be older. Hp does post a firmware update on the web but you need a pc to install it. (needs a parrallel port). Find a PC geek friend that will do it. check the gimp print site. otherwise go with Xrip for OSX, or macplot for OS 9, both from microspot. they should give you a cable and maybe a dongle which eliminates having to buy the jetdirect but it would only hook up to one machine. or also for OS9 would be some hp driver check their web site, forget about updates to OSX for a older designjet. gimprint is free, check out their web site. go figure.

kurt

Greg,

In OS 9, we use the HP JetDirect EX Plus to get our DesignJet 230 on the network. The JetDirect box has a parallel port to the plotter and a 10 Base T Ethernet port to your network. Works great, we never had any problems with the connection.

For a driver we use MicroSpot's Graphic Pak raster driver. Always had great results with this driver too, but we found the upgrade path a bit pricey, and don't like having to use a dongle.

In OS X, MicroSpot's product Xrip, is a direct USB connection to one Mac. I talked to them at MacWorld and they say they will have a networkable solution "soon" for OS X.

We recently got an HP 800PS and that is what we use in OS 10, as we can use HPs OS X driver, although not without issues of its own.

I also saw the GimpPrint driver for the DJ 230, but we have not tried it yet.

Best of luck,

PeterT

I use a JetDirect EX connected to an HP 250C. The software is gimp-print-4.2.5-pre1 and EPS ghostscipt-7.05.5 which are available for free download at http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3. The software requires OSX 10.2.x to work. The software installation is simple. Once installed you setup the plotter through Print Center. A driver for your plotter is included with Gimp-Print. Advantages with gimp-print are, the plotter is available over the network and, no dongle is needed. I also use the Linux version of gimp-print on a different machine to plot as well.