printing error

rcarch

Question

i was trying to plot some drawings today and ran into this beauty:

"cant open PSStream for stdoutERROR:pictwpstops-got an error closing PSStream=-50"

Plotting to a HP800PS from VW9.5.3 thru Mac OSX 10.2.3

The file was working fine until one of my interns exported some jpeg renderings from RW, and brought them into the file (not sure how they did this, ie: import or cut/paste). this actually occured in two separate files undergoing the same type of work. I have deleted all the raster files, but nothing has changed.

Has anyone come across this problem?

Thanks in advance.

[ 01-11-2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: rcarch ]

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

just when i thought i was out the damned thing pulled me back in - and this time i have even got the hp guys stumped.

katie - the solution of deleting the preset standard sheets that hp is saying is the answer is not a true answer, since we do not and have never used any custom presets in print center.

i am sending a problem file to hp to look at, but i think this is def a combined issue btwn nna and hp and a little bit of apple.

i even have the problem in vx 10.0.1!

c'est la vie!

Katie-

First off, which email should i send it to? I am sending the files to hp in boise for their review also.

This just keeps getting more and more confusing. I have been using one particular file that i know i get consistent errors with. I took the file (which is the one I am going to email) and loaded at my friend's office who also has an 800PS. On one computer it did not print, on the other computer it did with no problems. I brought it back to my office, tried it from my main computer and it still did not print, then loaded it on my Pbook and it printed just fine.

Then tried it on a third computer in my office, the one where the problems first started several weeks ago, and that one did not print. As far as I know, all the computers that I have tried on have the exact same settings, software versions and OS's. The only consistency is the inconsistency. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

katie-

there is no consistency to this at all. i created a file from scratch yesterday w/ the setup assistant and could not print it, did the same exact thing 1 hour later, creating the exact same file and it printed with no problem. if i did not trash those to files, i will email them to you. maybe the engineers can peek inside and see if there is anything different.

Rich that would be great.

We can also email the files to HP to see if they can duplicate the problem, if that's okay with you.

When you do send the files, make sure you put an explaination of the problem in the email.

I get so many emails, it's hard to keep track.

Katie-

Are there any further developments with this particular issue? We are still dealing with it to no avail. HP has not indicated to us that they have even worked on it. I would still like to email you a problem file, but need an email address.

Thanks.

Rich,

The inconsistancy with this problem and the vast array of computers it's happening on is the largest part of resolving this problem.

We've been working with HP on the issue. They have yet been able to reproduce the problems people have been experiencing.

I would LOVE to get as many files as possible that have this problem.

If you can include system specs (Apple System Profile file would be best), I'd appreciate it .. so would our print engineer and HP !

Just out of curiosity -- have you run the Verify and Fix Disk Permissions utility in Disk Utility lately? (Applications:Utilities:DiskUtility=First Aid tab)

Also, place a link to this page in the body of the email. I've been getting about 20-30 files a day. It's pretty difficult to keep track of who was a phone conversation and who was message board. Thanks!

tech@nemetschek.net?subject=ATTN:Katie

(Tech@nemetschek.net Subject: Katie)

katie-

have you heard anything back on this error message? the problem has been escalating here to the point that almost every file is affected. thankfully the pdf work around is acceptable in most cases, but there will be a time when it is not. please let us know.

can anyone tell me what the outcome of this problem was?

we still have this problem, i thought we had eradicated it and everything was ok, but slowly it is getting back into the system on some files but not others, so i have to save as.. a clean file and copy and paste the problem file into it and then it will print. this is obviously not good so any solutions people may have found would be welcome

ga

Well this problem has not gone away, that is for sure. We now have it on every machine and almost every file. It does not matter if it is old or new. We have basically given up on it being fixed. The clear print settings utility works ok, but is not a permanent fix.

We have done everything that has been suggested, and sometimes it works for a bit, but eventually, the error starts again. The only thing left to do is either reinstall the entire system or reformat the drive.

Will there ever be a permanent fix? The folks at HP seem to have given up on this, and the folks at apple have not done anything noticeable. At least it keeps popping up here, but still no permanent fix. Oh well.

If any one finds anything new, please post it.

Rich,

If you run the clear print setting sscript, does that fix it?

After it works - are you using a printer preset?

You are the only user that I am aware of that has the problem continuously within files that haev been run with the script over and over and over.

I am inclined to believe the problem may be wtih the printer setup or something on the system causing the printer data corruption. The problem could also be linked to fonts still.

Are you installing new fonts?

Have you gone thru and examined for a font issue?

Rich is not alone,

the problem never went away for us. we used the script you sent us but to no avail. we have nearly the same setup as rich- VW 9.5.3, OSX 10.2.6, Hp 800ps. Our 'workaround' was to literally reinstall OSX 10.2.1 (which incidentally caused problems with our VW dongles). The same files that had the problem can now be printed as normal. It is certainly a conflict between HP\Apple\VW. My concern is that nobody is working on a solution. By the way, the script you sent was ' Clear Print Settings OS9.vss'- is there an OS10 version?

GA - - Did you ever have printer setting presets installed/set up on your computer?

(By ever I mean between the time you first installed the OS and reinstalled the OS)

That's the only thing that we are aware of that would cause that scenario.

This is documented at HP's website if you search for VectorWorks.

[ 07-28-2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Any application will run in classic mode.

Whoa, Katie. That's not true. Only carbon applications can run in the Classic environment (cocoa based applications cannot) -- and if your carbon application is encased in a package then it can be tricky to get it to start in classic as sometimes the "open in the Classic environment" checkbox is missing.

Some carbon applications like Microsoft Office X also simply lack the proper resources to run under OS9 or in the Classic environment-- despite the fact that they are carbon.

I am running a process of elimination right now - I have installed a new system folder on one machine, with only one additional font installed, and that is a true type font, not a postscript font. On one other machine, I have stripped out the one font that i may have been having problems with (thats easy when you only use one font for everything). font doctor showed that a resource for this ps font was missing. i have also changed the fonts in our custom title blocks that get inserted when setup assistant is run. i am hoping that one of these works for us.

i am not sure what type of results we are going to get though. i just tried to plot a file from a friend of mine, who uses the helvetica installed with the OS and a preset VW title block, and i was getting the error with his files also.

on the clear print settings script, we will run it on a file and it fixes the problem as long as we dont close the file. once we close it and open it again and go to print, we have to re-run the script. not a big deal, but a bit time consuming. if i read katies post correctly, it will run in VW 10.1.2. that would be nice, not having to switch back and forth from classic. we have never had any preset sheets of any type, so i know for a fact that that can not be an issue here.

i will post what i find out....