Sign in to follow this  
sullymon64

Printing Problems

Question

Using VW 9.5.1 with Renderworks &Win98. Can't seem to print rendered models. Doesnt crash the system but it justs shoots the paper out with nothing on it. Works fine with OpenGL option. Printer is a Lexmark Z51. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Tim

7 answers to this question

Tim,

How much memory do you have in your computer?

Do you have any other applications running?

In the lower right hand corner of the screen by the clock, how many icons do you have?

Generally when you get a blank page, it's a memory related problem. RenderWorks rendered files are generally larger than OpenGL files, thus explaining why printing in OpenGL rendered mode may work for you. There is a chance it could be something else, but it's hard to say at the moment.

As a test, draw a cube or extruded circle or something and render it in RenderWorks. Then try to print it. This will determine if it's RenderWorks causing the problem - if it were, this file would only print a blank sheet also.

I have 192K of Ram and a 60G hard drive with a P2 processor running win 98. I tried your suggestion with the same results. I dont get a printer error, but it is as if nothing is sent to the printer as it quickly shoots the paper out and announces that the printing is complete. Thanks in advance for any help. Tim

How much free hard drive space do you have?

In the lower right hand corner by the clock is a series of icons - How many icons do you have showing?

To Sullymon64

Re: landscape printing.

Your thread on landscape printing with HP plotters has vanished but I found the following this morning on the VersionTracker announcement for gimp-print-4.2.4.

"# Transverse versions of the US CAD standard paper sizes (ArchA, ArchB, ArchC, ArchD, and ArchE) have been added. This permits printing e. g. ArchD size (24x36) plots on 36 inch wide paper."

That is one of the fixes for the latest release of gimp-print (gimp-print-4.2.4) that has been added since 4.2.4-rc1.

I have a 60G harddrive with maybe 5G in use. As far as Icons in the corner, it looks like I have 9 with one being Norton which has an additional 3or4. Do you think I should disable some of these?

Thanks Tim

Yes.

If you only have 192 mb of RAM on the computer, you shouldn't have that many programs running in the background on Win 98. Win 98 is poor at managing memory. Every extra thing running that isn't necessary, will cause memory related problems.

Do you know how to edit the msconfig.sys file?

Sorry for the delay. No I don't know how to edit the config. file. Do you really think it is a system problem. I use this same computer to capture digital video and edit. Not having any problems with that and they can be large files??? I appreciate your help. Tim