Printers - Laserwriter or Inkjet

Marietta

Question

I'm hearing different stories as to what printer would work best with a good quality greyscale and/or color. I've heard that the Epson 1280 would be good for color, but I'm wondering if there is any problems printing to a bloack and white laser printer. Should it be a true Adobe postcript 3 printer? Format we are looking into is up to 13 x 18".

2 answers to this question

NNA can't actually recommend a particular printer, but I can give some advice.

If you are on a Macintosh, you will save yourself a lot of trouble by getting a printer that can actually understand Postscript in hardware.

Plotters and Printers that use RIP software of any kind have historically had more problems than others.

So the best advice I can get is, 1) No RIP software printers, 2) A printer that is "officially" supported by the manufacturer.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

The type of color print you need to make would be the answer point to your question. If you are doing different colored lines and such a color lazer works well.

I print color renderings from Vectorworks exported to Art*lantis render exported to Photoshop almost daily and use an Epson Photo 1200 that uses 5 ink color cartridges, plus a dedicated 6th black ink, that do a great job on media up to 13" x 19". There currently isn't a OS X driver but it is promised by Epson to be available this quarter. The trick previously listed to use VectorWorks Viewer operating in OS 9classic works well until the native driver is ready.