HP Designjet 500

pchan

Question

I am thinking of purchasing a HP Designjet 500 (42") for the office and am wondering if anyone has good or bad experiences with the plotter and Vectorworks. Do I need to get a separate driver for it? I would appreciate any guidance. I am running a G3 with a 48 GB hard drive, VW9.5.1 and Mac OS9.2.2. Thanks

4 answers to this question

I am assuming since you are mac based it is a the 500PS. I have installed three of these printers in order a single user mac/Vectorworks based office, a networked PC office using autoCAD (500 only no PS) and a Mac/VW based large office 20 users. In the first two situations it was a beautiful thing. I did everything it was supposed to do and printed beautiful things. However in the third office, I had nothing but networking nightmares! I spent a month trying to get it to work with HPs unflagging support. We never did get it to work consistently, HP gave up and sent us an 800PS as a replacement without charging us anything. It was a brand new unit, not refurbished. I plugged it in and it has worked wonderfully for the past year and a half.

Ion:So if it's used with a mac, it has to be the 500PS version of the plotter. What about a mixed environmnet? I'm in an environment where I'm the only mac in an office of PCs and were planning on networking, via ethernet, the whole thing. Any thoughts?

ThanksPatrick

Hi Patrick,

I guess I would be tempted to call Microspot, now MacroEnter in the States MacroEnter Get the less expensive 500. You will end up spending about the same money, but you will get much faster printing from your Mac than you would through the RIP from HP.

My experience so far with their products is that it can sometimes be an extreme hardship to get up and running, but once you do it seems to work for years and through system upgrades without a hitch.

The only thing you would have to think about is if you wanted to add more macs later. Not that it is hard, rather I think that it would simply affect which version of Microspot's software you would buy now.

best of luck

ion