9.5.1 Printing

uncledco

Question

Doesn't seem to work.

I have an hp1220c printer and am running the latest driver 4.3.3 on the latest version of mac os 9.2.2, which includes carbonlib 1.5,I have vw9.5.1

The driver (which works fine when drawings are exported to minicad 6 and printed from there, and works fine with all my other software), believes that it has paper no bigger than A4 (letter size). The page layout shows the scaled drawing (A1 reduces 50% to A3)but print and print preview show the output on A4 only. - this is the size it prints at.

There is no secondary scaling allowed in the other dialogue box.

This happens with drawings created in VW 9 or imported from VW 6

Does anyone know what to do?

6 answers to this question

Go to File>Page Setup. Ensure you have the corret printer and page setup selected. Then go to Page>Set Print area and have the size read "One Page". If this reads A4 or something other than One Page, that would explain why you are having printing woes.

If you go to File>Page Setup, there is another place to enter a print scale percent. If you switch the drop down to VectorWorks, there is a print scale percent option there. Make sure that reads the correct percent. If you are scaling the drawing by printing a percentage in the print box, make sure you only have the scale percentage set to the other setting in one place and not both VW page setup and when you go to File Print in the general drop down.

While generally very good advice... This may also be a known bug in the HP DeskJet drivers. In version 4.3 and 4.13 we have seen an inability to deal with non-letter sized paper when printing from any carbon application.

Try using page setup in any carbon-aware program and selecting a page size larger than letter. When you go to print, you will have your output cropped to letter size, additionally, the print dialog will indicate it is set up for the smaller paper.

Since we are not aware of any carbon application that can successfully print to large paper sizes with this driver, we have reported it as a bug to HP.

The only workaround for this is to either fix the driver, or print from a pre-9.5.0 version of VectorWorks.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Katie hello, it is consoling to see that others are having the same problem as I. I have an HP 1220C on a G3/266 Mac operating system 9.04. i am exhausted from calling and explaingin and trying to solve what is clear to me now is a Vectorworks software conflict with HP printers. i ahve read your site's advice, spent hours talking with HP and local tech support people, but 9.5 does not work with HP printers driver version 3.2 or 4.3 (the latest).

I purchased the printer to complete a project (freelance) and am now in a major problem in that the project was to pay for the printer and the client is furious. I dare not take this to a printing copany due to the ame software problems. To make a long story short, all the settings are correct in the percentage areas, one page, orientation etc, but nothing larger than an 8.5 x 11 will print. On two occasions from version 9.0, it printed fine, but in the many many other attempts, it has failed. NOthing was changed to induce the failures.

I have subsequently updated my system software (to 9.2.1) which was a big mstake because now the desktop printer icon is being mass produced in an infinite loop (#123 appeared when I finally ended the cycle by removing the related exension from the system folder amidsts the barrage).

More specifically, I have an internal USB adaptor card and am using an older HP 970 (same as the 1220 but smaller) on the same computer. Hp confirmed that the driver version 4.3 will work for both. I am very frustrated and have pent many hours and phone call money to solve this to no avail. I and others clearly need a fix. Please e-mail me personally as well as post to this site if possible...pbody.jg@verizon.net.

John Gil

I have this exact problem. Did someone knows a solution? I have the same problem when printing from a G3 / 266 and a G4 / 466. Mac OS 9.2.2, VW 9.5.2. To two printers, an HP 1220 and an HP 930. They only print in one paper size, letter size in my case. They don't accept legal, tabloid, envelope or other paper sizes.

Thanks,Estuardo Schwank

I will state this for the record just to be clear.

Yes, VectorWorks 9.5.0 and later has a problem printing to large format paper on all HP DeskJet printers which use the HP DeskJet driver version 4.13 or 4.3 under MacOS 8.6 and 9.X

There is a bug that prevents all "Carbon" applications from printing to paper larger than A4 or letter size.

By "Carbon" I mean programs that can run natively on MacOS X and MacOS 9. This includes such popular applications as Photoshop 7, and Illustrator 10.

This is not a VectorWorks problem, this is a HP driver problem. Please direct your complaints to HP so they will fix their driver.

FYI. The OS X drivers for these models seem to be just fine. So that may also be another option for everyone affected by this.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support