Page Setup not being recognised in VW9.5

losolin

Question

I have 2 files which I am plotting to files and converting them to PDF files by distiller.

In VW9.5 they are placed on an ISO A0 sheet but are only 34% of proper size. I assume this setup information originates from a previous printing of the sheet onto a tabloid sheet via one of our laser printers.

If I open them using VW9.01 they plot to file correctly. The page setup info is identical in both versions when I check it. Even after I plotted the files from VW9.01 correctly and saved; the result of attempting to plot from VW9.5 is still incorrect.

In both cases they view fine from the VW application, but not so via the PDF file created from the PS file from VW9.5

My system is Mac OS 9.2.1

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: losolin ]

I have had similar Page Setup problems. I think (although I am not at all certain) it has to with creating PDF's. If I select PDF writer as my printer, then make page setup changes (which would be the normal sequence of events), those settings cannot be modified by page setup from any other printer. I have solved it in two ways: 1) always make a disposable copy of a file prior to printing a pdf, or, 2) Go back into the pdf page setup and make any changes, then switch printers. The first method is by far easier! Just make sure you dont tinker with your drawings just before printing or you'll wonder why your changes dont show up in the original file. PLC G4/450DP

I do not belive it is a problem with the PDF creation but belive it has to do with printing/plotting in general.

ps to PDF just happens to be a frequent output method we use to send documents to out of town print houses.

Test plots to our HP plotter produce the problem as well.

I wonder if it has something to do with the Distiller having to interact with a carbonized application. I am going to have to do some research at adobe in regards to this.

Hello Katie

I could send one of the files to you if you send me an email address. Then you could open it in both 9.0.1 and 9.5.1 and print to a file or your plotting device. You will find that the changes made to the page setup in 9.0.1 will be implemented in the output and the changes made in 9.5.1 will not.

losolin@johnstonsport.com

There seems to be some connection between saved sheets and page set-up, am I correct? When I switch between sheets (VW9.5.0) on one of my documents the page set-up seems to change. I will set it up correctly for the first saved sheet (ISO A0) but after switching to the second saved sheet the page set-up has change to a custom sized sheet and if I switch to the third saved sheet the page set-up dialogue box will actually come up if I try to print. Subsequently the program usually crashes before getting to the actual print dialogue box. I am hoping that this will be cleared up next week when I have a chance to upgrade to VW9.5.1.

Just loaded VW9.5.1 and the page set-up problem still exists. I can print to a file successfully in 9.0.1 but not 9.5.1 or 9.5.0.9.0.1 produces the proper ISOA0 sized sheet with the document information at A0 size, but the newer VW9.5.x produces an ISOA0 sheet with the document information at roughly 34% or tabloid size in the lower right corner.I can send the file if there is an answer or investigation needed.

losolin@johnstonsport.com

So the problem is still outstanding. I have offered to send a copy of the offending files for researching the problem, but it appears I have used up my quota of replies. Either that or there is no one listening in any more to help out. frown.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:
I wonder if it has something to do with the Distiller having to interact with a carbonized application. I am going to have to do some research at adobe in regards to this.

Just wondering if there is a problem with distiller and carbon applications and if you found out anything?

I also have the problem occasionally of not being able to see a page setup change. I do not print to pdf often so I do not think it is linked to this. I once had to copy all the info from several files to a new document to get page setup to work properly, so we thought it was a corruption in the file. I have not gone back to 9.0 to see if the files print from there correctly.

I would have to agree that the problem does not appear to be related to distiller. I can produce similar/same results by printing to another postscript device, our HP Designjet 2500CP.

Distiller just happens to be our output of choice for quickly handing off drawing sheets to long distance clients and consultants who want hard copies. The majority of them can print off pdf files the same day either on their own equipment or at a local print shop.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: losolin ]

It appears that I am having similar problems...

First, a quick environment run down - my situation seems a little more kludgy because I don't use PS enabled printing devices, but RIP software instead:

From a B&W G3 ( one w/ 9.2.2 and one w/ 9.0.1?)9.2.2 w/ carbon lib 1.59.0.1? not sure of carbon lib version

ethernet to HP JetDirect 300(something) connected to HP DesignJet 330 (infoware is now strydent - powerplot 2.0.2 - no plans for updating software)

ethernet to AXIS 5400 print server connected to a Lanier 5025MFD (11x17 capable)(strydent powerprint pro v4.0)

after upgrading to v9.5.1 I noticed the following:Save a drawing configured for D-size printing on the old 330. Go to the chooser and select the Lanier (which is really a Ricoh Aficio 250). Open up the drawing and change the page setup to a tabloid size, landscape. It doesnt seem to matter whether you save the drawing and exit or print immediately - you are always presented with a PageSetup dialog which does not show the changes you may have made previously. Insted it seems to default to either letter size, portrait OR it will remain on tabloid but with portrait instead of landscape. ADDITIONALLY, some of the Lanier's printer options, which were available before v9.5.1 (like paper tray, gray scale density, etc..) are no longer available.

Now, the fun part!! Change to the plotter in the chooser and change page setup back to D-size and the very next time you try to plot - BINGO!! you get the page setup dialog. Setting up the page size and orientation in the page setup dialog box and clicking OK will bring up the Print dialog window. Again, not all of the options are available that were there pre-v9.5.1 (i.e. 9.0 or 8.5.2?). Then hit Print... It resets to some letter size default and page orientation and the plot comes out, well, FUBAR!

So, now take 8.5.2 - open it up and presto! Everything is as it should be.

NOTE: To all responding with Distiller comments! I didn't mention it because we don't use it. This is going through driver software that worked prior to v9.5.1.

This is neither a "base" operating system problem, nor a printer driver problem. At least in the sense that printing that is NOT intercepted by Carbon Lib functions works just fine (oh, and yeah, I tried disabling Carbon Lib in the extensions and the results were the same). This is looking very much like a VectorWorks printing problem.

Several hours of running through the differenct permutations has left me a tad bit disappointed. Please, don't ask me to check whether or not all the cables are connected properly... If you've got hard core trouble shooting techniques I'd like to hear about 'em, but keep the clearing PRAM suggestions for those who don't know any better.

Mac dual G4 450, 832mb RAM, OS 10.1.5, dual screens (CRT & LCD) with all the latest updates of everything so far as I know and VW 9.5.2.

Here's another similar (?) problem:I created a simple drawing including linework with color fills and imported PICT images. To print, I have to Save and restart my computer in OS 9.2.2 so I can use my Epson 1520 printer using A2 size paper. I then open the doucment in 9.5.2 under OS 9.2.2. Everything goes OK through Page Setup and Print dialog boxes including setting print quality to Photo Quality Inkjet Paper, 720 dpi, etc. Problem is, it prints looking like 360dpi quality on plain paper, and the Print dialog box does not "remember" any of the settings - it has reverted to 360dpi Plain Paper.

After numerous tests of all sorts of different combinations within 9.5.2 I finally exported the document to VW 8 format, opened it under 8.5.2, and voila, everything works as it should- i.e. it printed at 720dip (smooth fills) and the Print Dialog box "remembered" the settings.

So it appears the problem is with VW9.5.2 not recognizing the Print Setup (dialog) inputs.

Yet another reason I must continue to work in 8.5.2. I have wasted untold hours struggling to work efficiently in post-8.5 versions. For me, upgrading (9.0, 9.1, 9.5, 9.51, 9.52) has still not been worth it even though it means not taking advantage of all OSX has to offer.

Any help would not only be appreciated, but will eventually determine whether-or-not I purchase the next upgrade or just grin and bear with 8.5.2 from hereon.

Mac dual G4 450, 832mb RAM, OS 10.1.5, dual screens (CRT & LCD) with all the latest updates of everything so far as I know and VW 9.5.2.

Here's another similar (?) problem:I created a simple drawing including linework with color fills and imported PICT images. To print, I have to Save and restart my computer in OS 9.2.2 so I can use my Epson 1520 printer using A2 size paper. I then open the doucment in 9.5.2 under OS 9.2.2. Everything goes OK through Page Setup and Print dialog boxes including setting print quality to Photo Quality Inkjet Paper, 720 dpi, etc. Problem is, it prints looking like 360dpi quality on plain paper, and the Print dialog box does not "remember" any of the settings - it has reverted to 360dpi Plain Paper.

After numerous tests of all sorts of different combinations within 9.5.2 I finally exported the document to VW 8 format, opened it under 8.5.2, and voila, everything works as it should- i.e. it printed at 720dip (smooth fills) and the Print Dialog box "remembered" the settings.

So it appears the problem is with VW9.5.2 not recognizing the Print Setup (dialog) inputs.

Yet another reason I must continue to work in 8.5.2. I have wasted untold hours struggling to work efficiently in post-8.5 versions. For me, upgrading (9.0, 9.1, 9.5, 9.51, 9.52) has still not been worth it even though it means not taking advantage of all OSX has to offer.

Any help would not only be appreciated, but will eventually determine whether-or-not I purchase the next upgrade or just grin and bear with 8.5.2 from hereon.

Hello

Long weekend holiday here in Canada and here I am in at the office again. At least its not because of work I'm trying to do up a couple of information boards for a charity fundraiser.

With regards to the printing problem we have not been able to solve it fully. The files which are affected still need to be printed in VW9.0.1 instead of the current version VW9.5.2

I suspect that VW 9 is using a new way to setup printing and page sizes compared to VW8.5. I think the affected files were created in version 9.0.1 which had lots of printing issues, so much so that our office did not install it right away on every machine. With the current release it appears that many of those problems have gone away but the legacy problems of files created in that version and possibly a few outstanding bugs still in this version are wreaking havoc with those here who are unfamiliar with the issues.

I would suggest that you create a new file using the most current version and cut and paste the objects from the old corrupted document to the new one, layer by layer. You could also try exporting the file and importing the material into a new file. Neither is perfect, but it is the only work-around we have been able to come up with in our office.

As for the MacOS problem I would start by removing the printer driver extension(s) and preferences (Apple's Laserwriter 8 or AdobePS if you are using postscript) and then do your upgrade to the current OS. Followed by the installation of the printer software. I personally do not use desktop printing so I also disable that MacOS feature as well. Sorry I can not be of much more help with regards to the MacOS and your printer.

Back to creating a couple of sign boards. Best of luck.

Larry

quote:

Greetings, I noticed your response to a printing problem and am wondering what file you have that might solve these the page setup issues. The 34% issue is actually that the printer / plotter is creating 8.5 x 11 output for all paper sizes selected. AS all other programs print fine, this is a V-Works issue. 9.0 plots sometimes, but higher version never work. I am an Architect and we have a similar problem at work.

I recetly purchased a new side format HP and since instlaling the driver onto a Mac G3 (OS 9.04) my computer has gone crazy and just last night, when after updating to 9.2 in an attempt to solve the problem and assuming that it might be a USB problem as well, this turned out to be a big mistake as the OS is mass-producing desktop printers (# 123 just appeared) and won't quite so I cannot shut oof nor start up without the extensions.

It seems that reverting to 9.0 might be a solution, but why doesn't Nemescheck issue a patch as this problem clearly has reched far and wide? If you know anything I would certainly appreciate your advice as I am exhausted and need to complete a freelance project which is why I purchased the printer in the first place.

Regards, John Gil

Possibly related to this is "Print Manager" errors I have been getting lately. VW crashes 50% of the time when I get this error. It occurs on a couple of files I have where there is more than one saved sheet in the document. When I issue the print command the error occurs on the fourth sheet after successfully printing three sheets of the four sheet file or if the current printing device does not support the page size of the file and I attempt to bypass the page setup by issuing the print command with the intention of switching printers there.

I belive this is related because this same sheet in this file will often cause VW to create a custom page instead of sticking to the ISOA0 page size setup which the other sheets used successfully. So it is not recognizing the page setup which was set!

I am having the same problem. A reduced image prints in the lower left of a 36" x24" sheet. This has made VW 9.5.2 unusable for me. I have a presentation tomorrow and no way to present it!!!

Mac G4, VW 9.5.2, HP 455CA using HP RIP. Everything used to work fine under VW 8.5.2.

Katie, can you please address this.

Kevin,

Something that appears to be over looked in this thread...

Go to the page setup command and make sure that you have the scaling set to 100% on the VectorWorks panel. We add our own version of this in case the printer does not support it, so if you can scale you prints from all programs, make sure you find both scale options in VectorWorks.

Also, make sure you do not have "Print Current View" enabled in the Print dialog, this will cause VectorWorks to print based on the viewable area instead of the paper size/location.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Matthew;

Thank you for your quick reply. I followed your instructions and the results were favorable. The reduced image size problem has disappeared and the image now prints normal size. I do not know which item was causing the problem. I spent hours on this problem and you fixed it in minutes. Thank you.