Black & White Printing

acurrier

Question

I am attempting to print in Black and White mode from VW 9.5 on a Mac (OS 9.2.2) to an HP DesignJet 1055CM.

Text elements that display as color DO print in B&W. However, all color lines/fills print as color. How do I get the entire drawing to print as B&W?

9 answers to this question

You should have an option that allows you to print in black and white. From there, you should be able to select a setting that says something like Color Control - "Convert Colors to Black (no greyscale)"

Be sure to have this enabled to get a true black and white only print

When you go to File Print, under Printer Specific Options 1, what do you have as Print Color as Gray: ?

And under Color Matching, you have the print color set to Black and White, correct?

If Print Color as Grey is set to YES and Color Matching is set to Black and White, I do not get a Black and White print; colored elements print as grayscale. I wish for all colored lines to print as black.

I know that this is an easy enough script to write, and as I understand it there are scripts out there that already do this.

Vectorworks Architect is built to print out construction drawings. I am baffled that Black and White printing is not a built-in feature. I have read on the message board posts that it is expected that the user will have a "Black and White" setting on their printer options. But as you can see, this is simply an inadequate solution.

Grayscale printing is unacceptable as a solution. For a program as feature-rich as yours, the lapses in judgement concerning exactly WHAT features are worth including is perplexing.

Am I missing something here? Doesn't the "Black and White Only" selection under "Document Preferences" create a black and white print?

I use the "Use Layer Colors" selection to create black, white and gray prints. Anything that I want to print as gray is on a layer with layer colors set to a specified shade of gray. All other layers have layer colors set to black and white. I have found this to be very flexible.

I only wish it were possible to adjust the density of grayed classes. How about giving us control over the density of gray in the classes?

The display setting is for how the layers will look on the screen.

To print color drawings in black and white or greyscale, you specify this in the print driver settings.

Katie:

Are you sure that the "Black and White Only" option does not produce a black and white prints?

I faily certain that it does for me at least. It even drops out gray tones in my prints when this option is selected.

Yes, black and white only should priduce black and white only prints, no grey in between.

If you have layer colors turned on and your printer supports the various trasnfer modes, then it will print in various shades of grey or color - it all depeneds on your printers driver and the settings it allows. I have over 40 printers installed on my computer. You would be surprised to see how different the various drivers treat different information. Printing issues are usually printer driver specific. It's very difficult to determine an answer without seeing the options available by the various print drivers.