Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

New to VS, want to rotate 3D...don't know how

Arbor

Hi,

I haven't used VectorScript before, and I want to rotate some 3D objects when I double-click on the command. It would be pretty complicated, but I think it's plenty possible. What I want is something I can start with, that has what I need to do it, and all I need to do is type in the fields. I also haven't figured out how to identify an object...other than stuff like last created object.

What I want to happen (see picture) is for the machine to grab a log, and set it in with the rest of them.

-

Sure, it would be nice to learn how to use VS, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, so I just need something to get by.

Thanks,

Arbor

I don't have much experience with manipulating in 3d with V-script. I have a fair bit of experience with V-script in general. I would say that it is possible.

I would also say that if I were to pay myself $1 per hour for the time it would probably take me to make this script, I just MIGHT be able to do it for less than $175. I would have a lot to learn.

You will need to not only identify objects, but assemblies containing those objects. You're not only rotating things, but moving them through 3d space and changing angles as well.

You could start with SetRot3D. You could get a handle to the object by naming it and using GetName. The crane is probably a group containing groups containing a group containing a log....if you see what I mean. You might be able to access the various assemblies in the crane using NextInGroup and FinGroup in a stepwise hierarchic manner.

Then you have to animate the whole thing. That'll recquire having the script execute itself incrementaly and repeatedly thru time until a specified condition is met.

Actually, I'm not sure that I could do it at all. There are people that could. This is a very specific project and I think it's unlikely that you're going to find chunks of script with built in dialogues that will be of any use. Nice log truck BTW! And I'm glad to see you're not harvesting old-growth.

I imagine you've read below here the post on animating a bicyle?If you look at the rotating cam example you can see what you're up against. Double click the palette command with option key down to see the code.

If you approach this as a way to learn v-script it will be worth it for that knowledge alone, regardless of whether you ever get this to work or not. Start with some simpler 3D or even 2D manipulation and go from there.

It is possible that I'm overstating the complexity a bit. Somebody with more 3d experience will hopefully comment.

Charles

[ 03-04-2006, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: ccroft ]

Oh...I'm pretty good at making Flash animations...I wont do a slide show, I'll make a movie with the exported things. Didn't even think about that. Thanks!

By the way, I just made that thing for learning purposes anyway...and ya, good thing it doesn't have old growth!

Arbor