Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

beginner's question

weberj

Where can i find an "idiot's guide to Vectorscripts"?

For example:

I am in the habit of using construction lines a great deal when

drawing. I understand that i can create construction lines by going

to "edit", "make guide", but that is cumbersome.

I have tried writing scripts for tools called v-line and h-line, but

some aspect of the process eludes me. The goal is to click on the

script, then on a point in the drawing. The script would then make a

vertical (v-line) or horizontal (h-line) line, extending from that

point to to the limits of the screen in both directions, and convert

the line to a guide. This is my first attempt at script writing. I

picked something i thought would be pretty easy, but i must be

missing something. Can somebody help me out?

I don't know of an "idiot's guide" anywhere... but this is probably a place to start: http://www.nemetschek.net/support/custom/vscript/

VectorScript is easy to pick up if you have previous programming experience, since it's based on Pascal. If not, the best way to learn is probably by reading VectorScript in other people's freely available plug-ins, using the "File>Export>Export VectorScript..." menu option to see how VW translates what's on screen into VS and back again, and reading this forum.

As well, since VS functions are quite explicit in naming, the VectorScript function reference is pretty much indispensible: http://www.nemetschek.net/support/custom/vscript/functionref/VSFunctionReference.html I always have it handy when I'm programming.

i found that before these two books make any sense you need to understand how programing works, particularly algorithmic program languages.

Here is an excerpt from some of my course notes...

The books that have proved most useful are the ones that offer programming basics. Sometimes you find that a book on programming C++ will have 3 really good chapters on programming basics. I will be quoting from two books that I have found useful:

? The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrap. Published by Addison Wesley 1995

? Teach Yourself Algorithm by Anthony Ralston & Hugh Neill. Published by Hodder & Stoughton 1997.

The reason that these books have been good is that the VectorWorks books assume that you have some programming skills. But that is the real problem, unless you have the programming skills the Language Guide is a foreign language.

hope that helps