Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Rigid Insulation Hatch

wjb

The standard insulation tool slows the drawing file down substantially because of all the curves.

A simple zig zag line in lieu of this would suffice for most drawings. The insulation tool could then be used for details only.

[ 07-01-2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

That's not really what we're looking for. We're trying to write a script that produces Rigid Insulation, in the same way the Batt Insulation plug-in tool produices batt insulation. We've managed to get the plug-in to give the first two lines for Rigid, but we're having trouble figuring out how to write the script to get in to repeat.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the link. It's on page http://www.vectordepot.com/PlugIns1.shtml

and it's labelled:

"Insulation/Isolation PIO

This draws batt insulation/isolation in a different style than the standard NNA PIO.

Contributor: Francesco Bellasecca

Version: VW 9.0"

It appears to be an update to version 9 of Frank Schnater's "Insulation Tools" found on the same page.

It consists of two tools. One, called "isolatie zacht", draws ordinary batt insulation. The other, called "isolatie hard", draws zig-zag lines such as were commonly used in the days of hand drafting to poche metal stud walls on plan, but which I've never seen used in any CAD drawings.

well i suppose it does what it's supposed to do, but still doesn't achieve what we're looking for.

so my original question still stands - HOW do i write a vectorscript for rigid insulation? if it can be done for batt, which has curves and angles, then rigid should be easy - just offset lines.

Are there any vectorscript writting resources out there anywhere?

quote:

Originally posted by Species 8472:

...rigid should be easy - just offset lines...

Aha! A clue!

But still not enough.

We'd like to help, Species, but we can't read minds. This topic has been up since June, you've found only two other people who believe there's a standard way to represent rigid insulation, and now it seems at least one of them disagrees with you about what that standard is.

If you could see your way clear to describe it to us, we'd promise not to tell anyone else. And it may be that someone has already written the script you're looking for. Maybe he just doesn't know it's rigid insulation. Maybe he thinks it's the standard way to show monorail tracks.

As far as vectorscript writing resources, there's the VectorScript Language Guide and the Function Reference. Do you have those? Both available for free download at http://www.nemetschek.net/support/custom/vscript/docs.html

[ 08-04-2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

With apologies to all those who tried to help, perhaps we assumed incorrectly that there was a standard graphic used to illustrate rigid insulation. In Canada, rigid insulation is typically drawn by a rectangle of dimensions equal to the insulation material thickness and length in section, filled with a repeating pattern of short lines (perpendicular to the long axis) which are 2/3rds the width of the rectangle, alternating in direction, and staggered equally along the length of the section.

PLEASE IGNORE THE ABOVE GRAPHIC - WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IS MORE LIKE THIS:

-------------------------------------------------

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

-------------------------------------------------

Like this?

-

My apologies to Francesco. I must have downloaded Frank Schnater's insulation plug-in a second time when trying to download yours. Now I've got the right one, and a very nice PIO it is, creating a batt insulation symbol which doesn't have to be solid filled. And certainly there's no problem with your English. I would never have guessed it wasn't your first language.

[ 08-06-2005, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

That's a unique and attractive hatch pattern. It would have been too slow to use in hand drafting, but now with CAD we should be using it for something.

Here's what Francesco's Belgian version looks like:

-

Also very distinctive, and it would be easy to guess that it represents rigid insulation.

I'm going to try to find use for both of these.

• 2 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by wjb:

In Canada, rigid insulation is typically drawn by a rectangle of dimensions equal to the insulation material thickness and length in section, filled with a repeating pattern of short lines (perpendicular to the long axis) which are 2/3rds the width of the rectangle, alternating in direction, and staggered equally along the length of the section.

I've made up a linear plug-in that does the "Canadian standard" version as well as the one shown in Detail magazine:

-

Unlocked, fully probe-able. Share it to your heart's content. Hope this helps.