Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Object Messaging, Communication, Linking

OK, so I'm a little new to VectorWorks automation and certainly to vectorscript and never mind the SDK...

Nonetheless, here's my questions:

Is there a way for one object in VW to communicate/message another object?

Ideally one object would be directly associated to another object such that a change in the first, that directly affects the second, is communicated so that the second is able to update itself as necessary.

For instance suppose I had a rod (layer1) that needs to be attached to a metal plate (layer2) via a bolt. The rod might have a "force" property that it would need to communicate to the bolt so that the bolt can resize itself to take the force generated by the rod. Additionally, the bolt would communicate it's diameter property to the metal plate so that the hole in the metal plate can resize itself to accomodate the new bolt diameter.

I can't seem to find any documentation that illustrates this type of object interaction.

How is something like this done in vectorscript?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes it is possible, but it's not easy. When the first object is changed it must somehow locate the other objects and change their parameters.

In your example you need to create a system that so that the rod is linked to this 1 bolt, which is linked to this 1 hole in this 1 plate and no others in the document.

You also need to make sure that object A changes object B, but object B never changes object A.

Figuring out how to establish the links between objects and fields within an object is the hardest part, changing the parameters of other objects is easy.