Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Line thickness "By Color" - possible?

jckii

Is there a way one can make lineweight directly determined by line color? Like change a line to color "cyan" and it automatically becomes 0.5mm thick? I would find this extremely useful when drawing with "zoom line thickness" set to off (a more accurate way of drawing)

It would probably work more like: draw until you're ready to print and pull down a command from the menu just prior to printing.

How difficult it would be to create would depend on such things as:

Does it need to work on stuff drawn with tools other than the 2D tools?

Do you need to be able to easily add set or change each color/weight relationship (without using the script editor)?

How many weight/color connections do you need?

I see from other posting that you are using classes to control this.That's another excellent strategy.You might just want to select some stuff and change class in the Object Info Palette....changes both weight and color with one move. Advantages: easily modified,completely understood by the user,works with all existing versions and likely to continue to work with future versions.

You might take a look here:http://www.vectordepot.com/

They have some plug-ins to help with class assignment and management. I don't think there's a lot there that is known to work with newer versions, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Best of luck

Charles

Charles is right - eg. my free 'Cloning around' class utility at VectorDepot is ideally suited for switching between different graphics standards, using classes. It seems to work with VW 10 & 11.

If you are systematic, you first create 'on screen' settings with colours, then use 'Clone classes' to create a stand-alone VectorScript program ('macro' in the old parlance). Next you change class attributes for printing purposes and clone those.

Finally, you use the VectorScript plug-in editor to create menu commands: say 'New command' and in the editor window 'Get text' to pull the appropriate script in. Say OK, repeat for the other one and install the commands to your workspace with the Workspace editor.

In fact, for QA purposes you might add to the auto-generated scripts these lines:

Printing settings command:

code:

SETPREF(9, TRUE);  { Zoom on }

SETPREF(10, TRUE); { Print in B/W on }
[/code]

On-screen settings command:

code:

SETPREF(9, FALSE);  { Zoom off }

SETPREF(10, FALSE); { Print in BW off }
[/code]

Depending on file size and number of classes, the change is either fast or slowish.

Petri

I am not VS literate, but it seems you have something I need.

I need to be able to print pdf files in B&W. None of the pdf drivers can do this when there are groups and symbols that are not B&W. Can your script do this easily?

thks

[ 11-03-2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: tvetter ]