Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

repost: extrude 3d polygon

Ariel

I already posted this at the wishlist forum and thought I should send it here as well. Maybe one of you vectorscript experts can help.

-------

Here's what I would do to extrude a 3d polygon:

1) set my working plane on the 3d polygon.

2) switch my view along this working plane.

3) trace over the 3d polygon with the 2d polygon tool. (or convert to 2d polygon)

4) select and extrude the 2d polygon.

5) delete the 3d polygon.

6) go back to my original view.

The resulting object would have to be an editable extruded 2d polygon. I posted a request for a tool which would avoid the above tasks at the VW mailing list and it seems that such a tool would be difficult to create in vectorscript.

Ariel

>I've been thinking about your request.

>1. What hapens if the vertices of your original 3D poly are not on the same plane?

Although, it is possible to have a 3d polygon with non-planar vertices in VW, I would be perfectly happy with the vectorscript's assumption that the vertices would lie on the same plane.

>2. I think the main difficulty is to draw the 2D poly exactly on top of the 3D one on the rotaded view.

>3. Then again, after the extrusion it might not be on the same plane and will have to be moved.

I've been informed that main problem is that vectorscript doesn't recognize working planes aside from the ground plane.

Ariel