Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

double polyline from centreline?

ryanm

Does anyone know if there's a PIO or other thing for drawing roads in plan? We need something like a PIO that has a polyline alignment, and parameters for the width of road and width of right-of-way. The road edge & right-of-way polylines should draw themselves at 1/2 their parametric distance from the polyline alignment. The road edge ones join to each other at the ends to create a fillable polyline. 2 more parameters cover road edge class & right-of-way class.

Is this even possible? Can a path PIO have a polyline as its path or does it have to be a polygon? We've tried cavity walls & they're just a disaster on switchbacks. We've also tried Landmark roads & they're just too finicky for the design stage.

Agreed, but they're 3D-oriented & left-brained (create stakes, modify DTM, etc.) and not really worth the price of admission... I was hoping someone knew of a more 2D, fluid tool, similar to "Expand Stroke" in Freehand or Illustrator.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not use the offset tool on the polyline centerlines? This is not a tool that can be controlled by VS, but this tool works for a lot of smoothed curve figures.

Alternatively, you can import figures from Adobe products with the Import EPSF, or import image command.

Frank

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: fbrault ]

I am - slowly - working on a 'buffer' PIO (path object) for simllar purposes. If I ever find the time to figure out the idiosyncratic vector functions of VectorScript, it may find its way to VectorDepot's marketplace. Before it does, I need to know whether there is any commercial demand for add-ons - and that will take a year as they only send sales reports & payments once a year. (I have a modest thingy there as a test and no intention to waste my time to do something that does not pay.)

• 2 weeks later...