Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Export to Vectorscript

As a novice to Vectorworks 9.5.1 (on PC platform) i need some explanation about exporting a drawing to Vectorscript.

Our intention is to save drawings in a revision control system (CVS) that works much better with text files (like vectorscript) than with binaries.

When we export and reimport to/from vectorscript all callouts are lost, complex polygons are sometimes mirrored!

I believe there are some undocumented limitations of the export/import and any help to clarify is highly appreciated!

confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

There are many objects that do not get exported when exporting as a vector script file.

Your drawing will never end up importing back in the way it was when it was exported.

I would find an alternative way of setting up your revision control system.

Dave

Dave's got it right, I'm afraid!

PIOs are not supported in VS export and there are indeed various other deficiencies.

However, on the PC platform - at least with FileMaker Pro - it is possible to put entire VW files as 'objects' into a database.

In short, my revision system goes like this: - the actual current file never changes its name - for each revision, I make a copy of the file and explicitly rename that (sequential numbers) - for each issued [set of] drawing, a copy is also created - a 'revision symbol' is added for each revision to each affected titleblock present in the VW document (one VW document can be used to generate all drawings - or at least several drawings) - a 'project management' document uses workggroup referencing to keep track of drawings and revisions

Anyway, this requires a bit of thinking & planning & implementation. Each practice has its own peculiar ways of operating, so I won't offer to sell my CAD management system to you, although it works very well for me. (I don't use the VWA system at all.)

Dave's got it right, I'm afraid!

PIOs are not supported in VS export and there are indeed various other deficiencies.

However, on the PC platform - at least with FileMaker Pro - it is possible to put entire VW files as 'objects' into a database.

In short, my revision system goes like this: - the actual current file never changes its name - for each revision, I make a copy of the file and explicitly rename that (sequential numbers) - for each issued [set of] drawing, a copy is also created - a 'revision symbol' is added for each revision to each affected titleblock present in the VW document (one VW document can be used to generate all drawings - or at least several drawings) - a 'project management' document uses workggroup referencing to keep track of drawings and revisions

Anyway, this requires a bit of thinking & planning & implementation. Each practice has its own peculiar ways of operating, so I won't offer to sell my CAD management system to you, although it works very well for me. (I don't use the VWA system at all.)