Un-Do & Re-Do

Jim Smith

Question

Sometimes I will try something, then change my mind and go back to where I started. Sometimes this means "Un-Doing" the maximum number of "Un-Dos" &/or "Re-Dos. It would be helpful if one could "jump" back and forth the same number of times as the the maximum number of "Un-Dos" (or "Re-Dos" set in preferences) in one shortcut.

7 answers to this question

The above discussion has made me wonder if it would be possible/desirable to save versions of a drawing within the same file. Currently I draw several versions of a concept, but each one is saved in a completely new file. You could then do a 'mini-save' as a version, and then revert to that if required rather than having to plow back through 20 undoos.

I'm with David on this one ... mini-version saves are sweet & efficient. Everytime I do something significantly different I 'save as' a newer version, ie. v3 becomes v3.1.

radical changes then become v4 > 4.1

This also greatly assists the naming of the individual sheet PDF's ,

ie. C3.0 > C3.1 .

Weekly backups involve compression & encryption & transfer to servers of version files and deletion of the unnecessary redundant VW Backup files.

I think a feature like Safari's "Mark Page for Snapback" would be a great addition to Vectorworks. Many times I need to briefly look at another area of a drawing before returning to the view I am currently working in. A "Mark View for Snapback" feature would help me quickly navigate back to the view I am actually working in.

(I know I can accomplish something similar with saved views, but I think my suggestion would be useful for day to day drafting).

I use Ed's method. But I have run into some problems. More than once I have found myself working on version 3.1 when the latest file is 3.2.

If VW crashes, the current file will not display in the recent files list. So I found myself relaunching VW and choosing what I thought was the latest file from the list.

Now I rarely use the list. I use Open file and go the the Finder to be sure that I am opening the latest version of the project.

This thread also links to the request for improvements to the file preview - so you more easily see what each version actually is.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001711

Maybe the image export options could be used to set a file preview. This would give a lot of control over what the preview looks like. Once selected, the preview would update automatcally on saving.