Improved Fillet Tool

eric.rktek

Question

It would be great if the fillet tool could be improved. I use it a lot when drawing polylines for parking lots in site plans.

It would be great if it had the power to see beyond or be able to override the consecutive point issue that plagues it now. I spend a lot of time removing vertexes in my shapes to be able to use it.

The other big improvement would be to have it the fillet tool be able to fillet a line to an arc within the polyline shape. I usually end up wasting time clipping circles and squares to add in, etc to get the shape I need.

10 answers to this question

quote:

Originally posted by eric.rktek:

The other big improvement would be to have it the fillet tool be able to fillet a line to an arc within the polyline shape. I usually end up wasting time clipping circles and squares to add in, etc to get the shape I need.

Indeed!

I was doing this just the other day. Drawing a 3 sided planting bed; 2 straight sides at right angles and the 3rd "hypotenuse" an arc.

The polyline was simple, and all I wanted to do was to radius the 3 corners, but the fillet tool completely smashed the arc section.

Please fix

cheers

Eric

- the 2D reshape tool has options to change any vertice from a corner point to a bezier, cubic spline or arc. You can also change it back to a corner point again.

- You will find it easier if you draw your base shape as a polygon with corner points, and then modify the vertices.

(Be mindful that a fillet or chamfer cannot be larger than the polygon side it is applied to.)

DDDesign, try the following:

- Group your object.

- Edit the Group and decompose the object.

- Apply your fillets and then recompose it.

- Exit the group and ungroup your object.

quote:

Originally posted by mike m oz:

Eric

- the 2D reshape tool has options to change any vertice from a corner point to a bezier, cubic spline or arc. You can also change it back to a corner point again.

Mike,

this is an example of where it doesn't work.

If you draw the "3 sided" shape I described above and try to convert the corner verticies to arcs, the curved side of the "triangle" will be changed to something that has nothing to do with the original.

Nicholas

- That is because the tool can only add arcs to vertices that are bounded by two linear sides.

- If you decompose yor shape so that it consists of its 2 linear elements and its one arc element you can apply fillets between the linear elements and the arc element. The 3 arc elements and 2 linear elements can then be recomposed back into a single polygon.