Create a Class from a selection

Kadayi

Question

I think it would be really useful and a real time saver if it were possible to a create a class from a selected drawn element.

In an ideal world people should set up there classes before undertaking a drawing, however in my experience often people do not and it can be intensely time consuming to have to create the classes retrospectively, especially when pattern fills are involved.

Kadayi

[ 02-10-2006, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: kadayi ]

5 answers to this question

I draw things all the time and then give them a class afterwards, even make up classes as I go along, changing them etc. so if I'm reading your wish correctly this is already a function of VW and always has been. Even grouping objects or just multi selection allows you to change the classes.

Alan

[ 02-10-2006, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

I'm on about selecting a polygon (for example) that has the default class 0 or None but has already been set up with a specific line style fill etc that I want to retain, and defining a new class out of it's selection.

I've checked the manual etc and I'm not seeing any way in which to to this, if you do know a way could you please elaborate (I'm using VW 11.51)

Kadayi

I'm still unsure of what you are saying, sorry.

You know doubt know you change an objects class via the OIP (object Information palette).

Do you want to select an object and change its class?

Do you want to create a class with the same specifications as the object you've selected?

Alan

Changing an object's class won't change its attributes (line thickness, color, style, fill, etc.), unless you've assigned it class attributes.

If you have, just give the new class the same attributes as the old one: in the Classes palette, select the old class, and click "Duplicate" instead of "New".

"Do you want to create a class with the same specifications as the object you've selected?"

Basically yes. I want to be able to select a previously drawn element (that has qualities I wish to retain) and be able to create a completely new class from it.

Think of it that I want to be able to use the eyedropper/paint bucket tools as a means to create classes from already existing elements (but ones that people omitted to setup classes for in the first place). The ability to do that would be a real timesaver for when you come back from 2 weeks holiday to find the year out student has made a half dozen drawings without any classes in place at all...

Kad

[ 02-20-2006, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: kadayi ]