Include more 3D primitives

mike m oz

Question

The 3D primitives are all pretty nifty and make modelling in 3D space very easy. I would like to see the capability improved by the addition of a few more primitive types to the set:

- Pyramid

- Regular Polygon (user defined number of sides)

- Polyline (with choice of vertex type)

The way the Extruded Rectangle and the Extruded polygon Tools works needs to be made consistant with the other Tools. The other primitives all draw the shape on the Working Plane first and then add the height. These two draw the height component first and then draw the shape. it should be the other way round so that the modelling is consistant with the operation of the Cylinder, Sphere, Hemisphere and Cone 3D primitive tools.

4 answers to this question

Also the Extruded Rectangle and Extruded Polygon tools don't in fact draw extrudes - they draw Mesh Objects. They should be drawing extrudes. Then their height component could be edited like the cylinder and real Extrudes by using the 3D reshape tool on the central handles.

I would also like to see the ability to give a 3D polygon depth by using the 3D Reshape tool on a central handle as above.

POSTSCRIPT:

Despite being an avid user for 12+ years I have to say the lack of consistency issues with VW bug me more than anything else. For example:

- The Extrude Tools that don't produce extrudes, as with the the Extruded Rectangle and Extruded Polygon tools. They produce meshes instead!

- The Command J 'shortcut' which works on two lines or walls but not a line and an arc, or on a straight wall and a curved wall. Why not?

- The Fillet tool will work on walls but the Chamfer tool will not.

In my view these types of inconsistencies absolutely have to be eliminated for VW 12.5.

[ 02-11-2006, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Andrew

- I stand corrected on the Extruded Rectangle tool. I would still like to see it be consistent though with the way the other primitives are drawn. ie. working plane shape first and then height added.

- The Extrude Polygon tool still draws a mesh and not an extrude. (irrespective of the view you use.)

Another issue with the Extruded Rectangle and Extruded Polygon tool is that you cannot input accurate dimensions for anything if you are drawing them in a 3D view. This limits their usefulness.

When you are in Top / Plan View you get the option to enter the height ony:

- With the Extruded Rectangle Tool you can at least change its dimensions afterwards with the OIP.

- With the Extruded Polygon tool you end up with a mesh which cannot be edited at all through the OIP.

The cylinder tool by contrast allows you to enter the radius and the height as you draw. Both can be edited afterwards through the OIP. The cylinder tool also provides precision input via a dialog box which opens up when you double click on it (this also allows you to draw an elliptical extrude). The Sphere, Hemisphere and Cone tool also have a precision input capability. The Extruded Rectangle tool should be changed so that it operate like the Cylinder tool.

[ 02-15-2006, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]