file preview

Erik Buijs

Question

9 answers to this question

What, exactly, do you mean by file preview?

Do you mean something similar to the tiny image you see when browsing graphic files (.jpg; .bmg)? If so, just which "image" in a VW file would you have show up as the "preview" image. Some of our files have dozens of design layers and 30 to 50 sheet layers. And we by no means push the limits that some large-project firms would.

Our experience teaches us that consistent file naming protocols save the day when trying to find a specific file.

I'm just curious which image would be the preview?

Andrew - Having a scrolling list showing all of the sheets in a document would be ideal. Iit would get one of my local users of my case about this issue.

The problem I see is do you have just Sheet Layers, or do you also have Design Layers. I think it would be better to have just the Sheet Layers but then what do you have as the preview in a drawing file that has no sheet layers?

My workaround is that at some stage I export a low res image to a designated preview file. This has the downside of having to be a bit more organized and remember to do it at the right time. It also takes a little bit of time, although the 20 seconds or so is hardly a lot in the general scheme of things. At least when saving the image the default name the same as the drawing file, with a jpg extension, so it is easy to find the related file.

The advantages of this method is that I can make an image of exactly what part of a drawing I want to use as a 'thumbnail'. Often it I show just a part of a drawing using the marquee method - in my case there can be too much on a single sheet or layer to make it useful when scaled down so much. Also, I can open and browse many thumbnails at once using an image browser (Preview in MacOS). And if thumbnails fail to show sufficient detail to distinguish them, as often happens when I've drawn several concepts with minor variations, then I can easily expand the thumbnail in the image browser.

In the past I've used decriptive file names, but I found it hard to be consistent and things got very messy. Now I just have a simple date-based naming system and let the browser do the work for me.

If VW were to incorporate a preview image, I think a marquee (automatically updating) would still be a more useful approach than using a whole sheet or layer.