Show actual font in menu

bclark

Question

Spent the day doing a presentation setup with VW12 using numerous different fonts. I would like to see the actual fonts shown in the PIO or at the very least in the Font Menu. Could we have one of these for the VW12.1 update please? It would save an immense amount of time.

To explain a bit clearer. When I am setting up a poster, for example. I go up to the font menu and look at say, Geeza pro Bold - I have no idea what it looks like from the menu (because all the font names in the menu are in the system font). In a program like Photoshop the font menu shows the font with their actual font so it is easy to choose what you want. There use to be an extension back in OS9 which actually did this for all applications.

Thanks, Brian

Brian Clark Architect

G5, OS10.4.3, 4GHZ, 4GB RAM, VW12

2 answers to this question

Have you tried the "font book" which comes with OS10.3? It will be in the application folder. Open it and go to preview/custom, and you can enter your own sample text. Also, there is a system utility called keyboard viewer - similar to the old keycaps - which might go part of the way. It will also help with finding symbols and the effects of using shift, cmd, option and control keys.

To use it go to system preferences/international/input menu and check "keyboard viewer". Now click on the map found on the right side of the menu bar. Select "show keyboard viewer". Select the font you want to see.

Similarly, the character palette will allow you to find such things as common fractions etc.