Duplicate Array W/ Z-Height

mac@stairworks

Question

6 answers to this question

Thanks Mike. I'm getting closer. I tried your suggestion.The original tread at the bottom ended up one riser below the top tread (in elevation) and the treads in between had to be raised by one rise. What did I do wrong?

started with one tapered tread

used duplicate aray (circular)counterclockwise

duplicates are on the ground plane

selected the last duplicated tread

switched to front elevation

moved tread Z-height to 35" (5 risers)

selected Align/Dist 3D

"ground plane"

in the z column chose "distribute","spacing"

any thoughts? could email steps taken in VW file

if need be.

Thanks again, Steve Mac

Sorry for leading you astray - I tried it and ended up with a similar result. It works okay on objects in a continuous run, but doesn't on this (I assume it is to do with their location relative to the x and y axes)

I gather the Spiral Stair tool doesn't give you what you want, in which case you appear to be stuck doing it manually.

An elevate option in the Duplicate Array dialog would cover situations like this. Even being able to adjust the height of an object through the OIP would help.

I have never been able to understand the logic of why 3D objects like PIO's are able to show their x, y and z locations in the OIP, but objects like extrudes show nothing. Other objects like pillars, floors and roof faces show their z height but not their x and y location. There is a need for consistency.

[ 12-29-2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Steve, I have thought of a way you can do it using symbols.

- Draw the 2D shape of the stair tread.

- Duplicate in place and extrude this shape to form the 3D portion.

- Select both parts and turn them into a symbol using the centrepoint of the stair as the insertion point.

- Place the first tread in the required location in Top/Plan View

- Go to an elevation view and use Duplicate Array to create the required number of treads vertically.

- go back to the Plan View and set the rotation of each tread using the OIP. The treads will be in be in stacked order so the first one you see in Top/Plan view will be the top tread.

Note: This will only work if you create a Hybrid Symbol (ie. one having separate 2D and 3D views). If you create a tread symbol having only a 3D portion you will be unable to set its rotation in the OIP.

[ 12-29-2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]