Door hinging

P Retondo

Question

The door PIOs are currently constructed in such a way that the hinge axis is at the corner of the jamb. Try setting a door to open 170 degrees to see the physical problem that would occur if hinges were built this way in the real world! Could NNA possibly look into placing the door hinge axis where it actually would be - about 1/4" from the corner of the TRIM or casing. Then our door swings would accurately show the actual path of the door, and the door wouldn't appear to confict with the casing when shown at angles greater than 90 degrees. Thanks for listening!

1 answer to this question

As an owner of a design/build firm -- thanks for posting a great question (especially with its implications).

There are reasons why Architects have lost so much clout in the overall building process. Increasing complexity and lack of experience has created a profession of technical artists (I hereby claim that phrase) rather than master builders.

I learned to frame before I went back to grad school and at least at Berkeley the emphasis was almost completely on the art side.

I look forward to other's responses.