LOSING PREFERENCES

I AM LOSING MY PREFERENCES EVERYTIME I CLOSE AND RE-OPEN VECTORWORKS

I AM RUNNING ON 9.5.1.

I WORK AT A UNIVERSITY AND THERE ARE ROUGLY A DOZEN PEOPLE USING VECTORWORKS AND ALL OF THEM HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER

2 PEOPLE CONTINUALLY HAVE TO RESET THEIR PREFERENCES

THIS HAS HAPPENED SINCE VW9.01 UNTIL NOW

PLEASE HELP!

lonnie

quote:

Originally posted by lalcaraz:
I AM LOSING MY PREFERENCES EVERYTIME I CLOSE AND RE-OPEN VECTORWORKS

Lonnie,Is it loosing serial numbers and prefs or just preferences like use sound etc?

What OS? If NT or 2k could it be possible that the user doesn't have enough permissions for VectorWorks to write the preference information out to the registry. Preference information is stored at the user account level so if one user logs in sets everything up and then logs out. If another user logs in with a different account they have to set everything back up again. Only serial number information is stored globally.

Do other applications on the machine retain preference type information?

Are there particular preferences that it isn't retaining or is everything being lost?

Is it 100% duplicable or is only certain machines and under certain circumstances?

Anything else you can let me know to start narrowing down the cause so I can help you find a solution would be great.

TIA

Kevin

It is happening on all types of machines

Mac and PC with ME, XP and 2000.

It is happening consistently on my desktop and a few other machines and intermittently on others

It is all of the preferences -- ie, background color, eight handle selections, save reminder, etc

Also it is not remembering the last open and save file locations

It is not losing serial numbers

I hope that answers most of your questions

Thanks

Lonnie

Lonnie,

This sounds like the computer's you are using do not allow you access to parts of the registry where VectorWorks is storing it's preferences.

If you are not logged on as a local administrative user on Windows NT/2K/XP, you will not have the ability to edit the HKEY_Local_Machine tree where VectorWorks stores this information.

To test this, go to one of the machines that is not saving it's settings and launch the registry editor. (Start menu -> run, type in regedit and click OK)

Try to go into HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Nemetschek/ and attempt to create a new key by going to the edit menu -> new -> key. If you get an error message saying you don't have privileges to do this, then that is the same problem that is preventing VectorWorks from saving it's preferences.

To fix this, you will probably need local administrative access to this machine. Contact the lab administrator.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Matthew

Thank you for your response. However most of the machines that are having these problems are home machines or notebooks, running XP or ME. Thus there are not restrictions on rights to the machine.

However, I did test what you listed below and it will allow me to add a new key.

The other thing is, that on my home machine it is happening all of the time but on a lot of my students machines it is happening periodically (from frequently to seldom) but still happening.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Lonnie

This has been happening to me as well.

I have posted here before without ever really resolving it.

The problem is very random. I will go weeks without losing pref's, then it will happen each time I start the program then weeks will go by again and everything is just fine.

It has happened on my laptop W98, work W98, and home WXP. This is not an isolated incident

Lonnie, If this is happening all the time to you at home, it could be that the preferences are not being stored. I would delete the preferences, or registry keys if you are on a PC and see what happens. delete the registry string HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Nemetschekand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Nemetschek Then restart the computer. You will be asked to enter your VW serial numbers again. When you close the program, make sure you are going to File>Exit and not clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner.

If it's happening on and off, it could be a matter of opening another version of VW 9 while having the current version open. This could overstep the preferences and mess it up. It could also be that the program is not being exited correctly. Have your students exit the program properly by going to File>Exit.

• 1 month later...

Kevin,

It could be that your preferences file is not writing all the way or it could be corrupt or just bad from the get go. When this happens, we sugget to user's to delete the prefs file stored in your librbary prefs file -- should be called VW 9.5.x Prefs.

Delete this file, empty the trashcan and then launch VW. You will be prompted to enter in your name, company name and serial number. After that, things should stick.

You should also consider upgrading to 10.1.4. Once you update to VW 9.5.2, you should updat to 10.1.5.