Curtain objects question

AndyM

quote:

Originally posted by AndyM7777:
I am having a problem rendering curtain objects. They look very jagged and like they are leaning over. I have 3d conversion set to high, custon renderworks with everything on.

See Pg 5-10 of the SpotLight manual for information on using the 3D Resolution parameter of the curtain to adjust the curtain's 3-d resolution.

I forgot to put in my original post that I had the resolution set to 128. It does not affect this problem. I have, however, found a workaround. When I insert a curtain object for the first time if I leave the fullness at 6" it will render poorly. If I then change the fullness it will render fine. Although if I leave the fullness at the default and set the resolution to 256 it will dissapear in all but plan view.

I did not have this problem before 9.5.1. Is this a new bug or just me?

quote:

Originally posted by AndyM7777:
Although if I leave the fullness at the default and set the resolution to 256 it will dissapear in all but plan view.

I did not have this problem before 9.5.1. Is this a new bug or just me?

This is a known bug that has been around for awhile. The curtain fails to draw in 3-d when the polygon count becomes too high. With a curtain with 6" of fullness and medium conversion resolution the limit is something like a 150' single curtain section.

It seems a little strange to me that you find you need the conversion resolution to be set so high to achieve a smooth curtain. I would think that the more likely cause of the jagginess would be the fact that it rendering to the screen which is an inherently low resolution output device. You might get better results by settin the Renderworks export resolution to a higher value for printing and image export in order to achieve better rendering output. The render bitmap tool also allows you to specify a rendering output resolution.