truss plugin....

tamarindi

Question

I know this issue was submitted here before.....nevertheless, I thought it's time to bring it up again.

I am a designer, working on VW11.5+render. I'm familiar with VW since version 5 !!!!

I design trade show spaces, exhibitions etc., and therefore using constantly trusses. I know there is a wonderfull truss plugin in Spotlight. Unfortunately it's not available for other modules. It's so frustrating! everytime I need to draw again this complexed fixtures. And although I created some fixed size symbols.....It's not as good. And also, it's very hard to create complex spaces.....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

make it available !!!

6 answers to this question

I've made that suggestion as well. The answer I got back was that if it was that important to your work, it should easily be worth the couple hundred bucks the extra spotlight module costs. Great answer. Ultimately I'd like to see a "department store" of plugins from VW that allows me (scenic designer for tv, theater, live events) to mix and match the tools I need. As I do designs for television studios, I'm using truss and curtain and lighting (spotlight) as well as office furniture and cabinetry (architect).

Never mind the fact that I can't batch print (architect).

If you want, I can always work with you to do truss layouts for your designs.

Hi Tamarindi

I see from your web site that litestructures is one system you've used.

Maybe if you contact them directly they'll let you have their sections on cad. I believe they use Autocad but maybe a dxf or dwg file collection would save you some time.

You can always show you're using it from your pictures if they need convincing.

A friend of mine using Sketch Up created one 250 mm gantry section as a symbol and just repeats that along to create his lengths.

Granted its not truely accurate of the system and it still does not provide joints within that thinking but it depends how visually accurate you want to be for what after all is a design visual, an artistic impression created to show the possible final result.

I'm of the opinion if the client can see its using a truss/gantry system as part of the design thats fine because you've shown the application of this but its a constructional detail as to which one you finally use, litestructures, opti or whatever.

To the uniformed they all look the same so which one do you regard as the one to use as a plug in? I know of at least six different types, all with different sized tubes, cross bracing detail, joints etc. available for exhibition stand use.

I don't like the idea of the various industry collections at all, remembering the all in one days of Minicad/Vectorworks but will concide that if it takes you several days to draw items that would cost you less to buy in chargable time you're better of buying the "upgrade".

There are little things I'm sure in each of the sections of the industry collection I'd use, but not available in one package at the price of one package of the industry collection and I don't believe buying the whole Collection to be worth it for the "extras" I'd use within them.

My opinion of course.

Alan

[ 07-03-2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

With a little tweaking the Spotlight Truus tool would make a great Architecture Truss Tool.

The flat truss mode would be ideal. Unfortunately you can't rotate it to be verical. Instead you have to convert it to an object.

[ 07-03-2005, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Well, as you can see i use the truss as a structural feature and not specifically for lighting.

Thare is nothing for me to use in the Spotlight other then the truss, and I don't think it's worth it! I did made a fixed sizes truss symbols that i use, so I don't need to rebuild it every time. However - I do believe that NNA should reconcider either releasing this feature or selling it seperately.

My work, as well as others, combines architecture and theater.

NNA should realize that these days, truss has more uses other then lighting !!!

Hi tamarindi

Whilst I suppose from your perspective its something important in your work , but for NNA there would need to be a significant requirement beyond what is supplied in the Spotlight package, so in my opinion sadly you are unlikely to get your wish.

There are many disciplines with many requirements such as this and with most software it seems to be the job of third parties to write plug ins etc to do this kind of job. Maybe somebody will do such a thing and make a nice little income, which would be good. I'd buy it.

The nearest I've seen is the exhibit hall plug in, at I think Vectordepot with its trussing. But that creates the whole "building" with the trussing as part of it, and its more architectural in its use.

It's use as a "feature" on exhibition stands is somewhat old hat now, only used by most designers I know in a situation where a client hasn't the budget to have custom made elements as features, or graphics supports, ceiling infills etc, used in their design and this can substitute from stock at low rental cost.

By circumstance rather than choice, but hey, if it works still for you fine, it's tough enough coming up with concepts on such tight deadlines anyway. I used it myself last week but would rather not have.

It plays a much more important and significant role, back to its roots really, in set design and lighting rigs. It's use here I don't think can be viewed in the same light (no pun intended)

Got to go, deadlines, deadlines.

All the best.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your reply.

I totaly agree with your "designing" review that includes trusses - however, some of my clients requests those systems, some of them have low budgets..... anyway ,it's required.

It makes no sence to ask for someone to creat a plugin that is already exists.

It would make more sence if NNA will come forward and at least make it possible to purchase it seperately. But.....for now....they didn't even reply to this topic.