Select rear objects

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

Sometimes I want to select a 2D/3D hybrid object, that is stacked behind others. I do this by restacking several objects, which is time consuming and tedeous.

I would like to be able to hold down a modifier key, when I click with the selection tool, and get the option to select between all objects, that are stacked in that location.

The ideal dialogue would be similar to the one, that allows me to choose between different surfaces for setting working plane by highlighting them.

15 answers to this question

Yes, I agree with you. Highlight the objects should be a nice feature no matter if they are on front or behind others objects.

I could see this feature on AutoCad 2006 (sorry to say that, jejejeje) have this feature it make "dash" perimeter (boundary) lines of the objects without select the object, just drag the pointer on the objects and highligth them. this feature is turneable ON-OFF.

JC

Nicholas

I don't see the "cycle" option in OIP you mentioned. I made three overlapping rectangles; selected all three; nothing in OIP about toggling front to back.

In my experience the "Send Forward" (control/alt/F) and "Send Backward" (control/alt/B) one step at a time are no help. Either the commands don't work, or I have too many levels to make it feasible.

The "Stacking Order" tool suggested above would a big help for me.

I think its the little buttons you see in the OIP

When you select multi ojects it tells you how many objects selected and has buttons and arrows to navigate these in the righthand top corner. Well in VW10.5 windows anyway.

Alan

[ 06-15-2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

This issue for me is the most frustrating in all my VW use! With lots of stacked items-as is often the case in 3D orthagonal views- moving them is a real pain.

Selection itself is not the only issue. If you try to drag/move a selected object you will still only move the top object. The fact is, the way VW works here is illogical. If you select an object, and want to resize it you can resize it with the resize cursor, regardless of where it is in the stacking order. Re-stacking every time is time consuming - and only creates the need for a further re-stack when another object needs to be moved.

The answer is simple - the selected object is should be the one moved, regardless of stacking order. Further, selection cycling could be streamlined by using the same method InDesign uses - Cmd key + click will cycle all objects under the cursor.

This would solve 95% of my hassles!

David

I see what you are saying and don't disagree. If you wanted to move the object as a workaround use move, or 3D move or even nudge if its only a small move on the selected object.

This works for me to get over this issue, even if its only enough of a move to clear it from the other objects to move with the cursor again.

I'm using nudge more and more these days to get past the inaccuracy of my mousing movements, but that may be because I need to understand more and ensure I'm using snaps and my settings etc. in the most effective and accurate way.

You mention Indesign and I use Photoshop. Right mouse click gives you the layers the images you click are located on, and scrolling down to the one you want to work on takes you to that layer. Maybe something like this for objects in VW.

Alan

[ 06-16-2005, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

<

When you select multi ojects it tells you how many objects selected and has buttons and arrows to navigate these in the righthand top corner. Well in VW10.5 windows anyway.>>

Alan

That's good to know. I have been struggling with overlapping objects for a long time, and I never noticed those litle buttons in the top right corner of the OIP dialog. Now I can select an object on any sub-level for editing. Thanks a lot.

JHE

quote:

Originally posted by JHEarcht:

In my experience the "Send Forward" (control/alt/F) and "Send Backward" (control/alt/B) one step at a time are no help. Either the commands don't work, or I have too many levels to make it feasible.

Yes, those are special-purpose Send commands, only helpful in specialized cases. But their more popular cousins, "Send to Front" (Ctrl-F) and "Send to Back" (Ctrl-B), are extremely helpful for your purpose. I have both of those commands macro'd to unshifted Function keys and use them constantly.

Alan

I do use the move command - obviously only when I know the exact figure to enter. My usual workaround to the issue is drag the object - grabbing it by a part that isn't overlapping - and then drag its handle to the point I want to snap to.

Nugding is fine, but I tend not to use a grid, so I can't rely on it to provide exact alignment. To get over mousing inaccuracy I have a 5 button mouse with buttons set up for zooming in and out and panning. I have found this to be extremely efficient and I would thoroughly recommend it.

David

I believe the nudge tool does not relate to the grid in VW, which incidently I have set not to snap to anyway, but is pixel based.

The closer you zoom in to your select object the smaller the "nudge" so to speak.

To be honest I'd used Vectorworks for quite some time before I discovered it and now would not be without it.

I'm looking long term into how I use the computer and going slightly off subject I've seen foot pedals you can use instead of the mouse buttons which has me intrigued.

I'm getting signs of RSI so before it goes too far I'm looking to change, or even vary how I work to prevent any increase.

Whilst I can't go back to the likes of the mac mouse with no buttons or scroll wheel I'm not sure adding more buttons to the mouse is a good thing.

Alan

Hello, Alan.

I understood that you were talking about that, i.e. the display-pixel version of the nudge tool. But I thought David might possibly have meant the grid-unit version, because of his comment about not using a grid. And so I thought the two of you might have been talking about two slightly different things.

The two tools look the same except for how far they nudge at various zoom factors, and either tool can be assigned to the Shift-Arrow keys, so it's easy to confuse them. It would have been clearer if NNA had named them "Nudge by Pixel" and "Nudge by Grid".