(Apple) Spotlight plugin for Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger)

Arturo Mendez

Question

It would be nice... a plug-in for Spotlight to extract information and metadata from VectorWorks files and place the information in Apple?s Spotlight. Once stored, Spotlight and the various OS X Tiger applications could use the extracted information for fast searches.

Being able to search inside vw documents for information, text, worksheets, etc... is something that would be great!!!

[ 05-06-2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: parella ]

17 answers to this question

I agree really cool tech, and with VW being a main productivity Application to most people using it, inclusion is would be a good thing.

OH and some automator actions while we're at it.

a design sheet/ save view activator, print/pdf and export actions come to mind.

[ 05-25-2005, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: iboymatt ]

quote:

Originally posted by islandmon:

VW v12 is now fully Cocoa ... Cocoa FrameWorks drive Tiger/Spotlight/Widget ... fullfilment of wish ... soon come ...

Yeah. Right after they fix the window bugs, and the door bugs, and the hidden line rendering bugs, and the PIO bugs, and the callout tool bug, and the radial dimension bug, and ...

Hi,

I cannot respond in regards to the wish that Spotlight support be added to VectorWorks as I am not able to comment, but with regards to Cocoa:

VectorWorks does not use the programming language Objective-C which Cocoa Framework APIs (function calls) are based upon. VectorWorks is developed in C and C++ and uses the Carbon APIs (function calls).

Converting VectorWorks to use the Cocoa APIs would take a significant amount of time, I would guess longer than our normal development cycle (2x perhaps) and would not give users much (if any) new features or other bug fixes.

Lyndsey

quote:

Originally posted by Lyndsey Darryl Ferguson:

Converting VectorWorks to use the Cocoa APIs would take a significant amount of time, I would guess longer than our normal development cycle (2x perhaps) and would not give users much (if any) new features or other bug fixes.

In other words, don't expect to see it until some time after the third or fourth generation of Intel Macs have shipped.

quote:

Originally posted by Christiaan:

I'm not sure that Mac-specific development is that high on the list of VW developers priorities these days.

Think Intel Mac. Then ask your question again. Most software developers are working hard to get their code to Intel Macs, so I guess it's fair to assume that NNA is concentrating on that rather than on Spotlight integration. Of course, I might be wrong, but it seems logical.

well this would be very useful along with a huge load of other items for Vectorworks such as a rotateable 'model space' type view for working with GPS co-ordinated survey information and a decent referencing system but that's by the by..

I'm guessing that by this jobs board post from the main site that NMNA are still using quite old software to code for the Mac OS..

quote:

or Apple Macintosh OS using the Metrowerks Code Warrior Integrated Development Environment, Metrowerks Object file editor Constructor, Macintosh Resource Fork file editor ResEdit, TCP/IP protocols, Object Oriented C++, C++ Standard Template Library, PowerPlant framework, Apple QuickTime APIs & AppleScript scripting language. Design & prototype the application using UML & Design Patterns.

Steve Jobs said that the transition to intel is relatively painless for those who are using Xcode to compile their apps for the Mac, those who are still using Code Warrior will have harder time. Obviously there is a very old code base lying around from MiniCAD days but it seems crazy not to take advantage of some of the new tech in the latest version of Mac OS X..