Vector option in Duplicate dialogue box

Delmer

Question

The move or duplicate by vector is one that every ACAD user has looked for from the inception of the program.

What I'd like to add to this is a check box in the Duplicate dialoge box, similar to offest by next mouse click, that would allow you to click a start point and drag a distance.

3 answers to this question

I agree, this so obviously a needed function. All this could actually all be incorporated into one (move) tool by using the ctrl-modifier (move tool: move, move tool+ctrl-key: copy), just the way the 2d-selection tool works already.

With that there wouldn't even be a need anymore for the "move" and "duplicate" menu commands which incomprehensibly by default are located in two different menus. (Imho they should both be under the "tools" menu.) Numerical input would be possible through the Data Display Bar. Multiple copies (linear arrays) could be available through an options button in the data display bar.

Btw. i used a version 9 of VW at one workplace that had such a tool (without the ctrl-key function) but a "copy" and a "number of copies" option button in the Data Display bar. I guess it was a commercial extension but i can't find it anymore. Does anybody know about it?

quote:

Originally posted by mmhasse:

With that there wouldn't even be a need anymore for the "move" and "duplicate" menu commands which incomprehensibly by default are located in two different menus. (Imho they should both be under the "tools" menu.)

Personally, I like the move tool the way it is. I prefer it as as a command rather than a tool. It seems easier if you want to set move parameters via keyboard - which I nearly always do. If I want to duplicate and move it's just option + drag, or cmd D +cmd M. I can't see what the fuss is about - although I've never used ACAD (and hope not to have to!)

Move and duplicate are entirely different functions, whereas duplicate is really just a copy and paste-in place (or with an offset) - logic says that it belongs in the edit menu along with copy and paste. This is also consistent with all Mac application protocols.