Symbols turn to boxes

When I am mirroring symbols they sometimes turn into boxes. They still carry through all their attributes but they lose all their visual information. At first I thought that it may just be a regen thing but even after exiting the program they stay the same. Also when I open drawings in 9.5.1 they open up on random layers and not the one that the document was closed in. Why?

quote:

Originally posted by E&S - Shaun:
When I am mirroring symbols they sometimes turn into boxes. They still carry through all their attributes but they lose all their visual information. At first I thought that it may just be a regen thing but even after exiting the program they stay the same. Also when I open drawings in 9.5.1 they open up on random layers and not the one that the document was closed in. Why?

The instrument turns into a rectangle when it cannot find its assigned symbol. Check to make sure you haven't changed the name of its symbol. It is also common to have the Symbol Name field of the instrument accidentally overwritten when importing data. The instrument only updates when something happens to it like a parameter value change, moving, rotating, mirroring etc. My guess is that if you ran the refresh instruments command you would see all of the problem instruments turn into rectangles.