Deformation tools

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

3 answers to this question

quote:

Hmmm,Add a Plug In Object for lawyers to the wish list as well

And a "fix the errors in my drawing" button would be good also :-)

but getting back to the topic, I think what Kaare means is the ability to define a part of a surface and to interactively pull or push just that part while the rest stays unchanged. I would heartily second this wish.

Currently VW is not a "practical" tool for the early stages of design development when the form is undefined and being experimented with. NURBS are are useful for defining contemporary product forms IF YOU ALREADY KNOW what it is you want to make and can develop a strategy to create that form. The difficulty is that they are not easy to manipulate, many operations must be done in a particular order, are not reversible, etc etc.

All in all; way too cumbersome for experimenting. I want something that can be pushed and pulled, squeezed and squished to find the shape I want.

I still use clay.(after all these years).

Unfortunately, I suspect that the Modelers that offer that kind of functionality are not NURBS, but Polygonal modelers.

An unfolding functionality (if that's what you meant Brendan)would also be a bonus.

Doing a surface development in VW is basicaly exactly the same process I learnt with a pencil in 1972. :-O

Anyway, here's hoping Kaare

N.

[ 02-27-2005, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

Thanks propstuff for clarifying. I also mean twist, bend, bloat, punk, skew, free deformation etc.

The way you usually achieve this is by grouping the shape, you want to work with inside a 'deformer'.

Architects and engineers usually work with a rather limited 'shape universe' and VW reflects these limitations. I have chosen to live with them, because I prefer VW over other 3D packages.

But there are still lots of shapes, that I can generate with pencil and paper, which I cannot easily duplicate in VW.

So expanding the programs modelling capabilities would certainly expand mine as well.

It might even make me a better designer ;-)