Asymmetrical casing on doors and windows

Diana

Question

10 answers to this question

You are asking for a degree of refinement which is so unusual that it is unlikely to ever be provided within the standard PIO's.

Your options are to develop your own PIO's,

OR

To add your own trims manually - It isn't that hard once you get used to the concept of being in the correct 2D view when you draw the required 2D shape and extrude it.

In the good old days of MiniCAD 4, when I started, you had to model it all yourself - it meant you could do almost anything, but boy was it time consuming.

It looks like the WinDoor plug-in does this. It says: "Extensive control over internal and external trim."

Sometines we use a thicker trim on the top than on the sidss. I am wondering if the plug-in does this.

Also seems like the foreign versions have more features. Maybe they are more costly.

Diana

Windoor has the options of selecting whether the trims are applied to any of the head, stiles or sill - but unfortunately it allows for only one size.

What you can do however is turn your PIO into a symbol and then add the thicker trim to that portion in by editing the symbol and insderting it manually.

Diana

Generally the foreign versions are a little more expensive - I suspect it is because of the customisation that each distributor has to do to make it suitable for their local market (in some cases including language)

We here in Australia are very fortunate in that our distributor Julian Carr at OzCAD adds significant value to the Architect version by including with it the add-ons that he has developed.

In my opinion our versions of Architect goes pretty close to being the best available worldwide.

The only others that come close are the German and Japanese versions - once again through the add-ons that they provide. The stair PIO in the German version is particularly good and I wish that the the standard stair PIO offered its capability. Unfortunately, unlike with WinDoor, you cannot buy it as an add on.

At US$180 WinDoor is amazing value and I recommend that you buy it - once you start using it you will never bother with the NNA door and window PIO's again.

Regards mike moore

Perth, Western Australia - the most isolated city in the world.

I've just purchased the ozcad windoor, and while it is great for a lot of things, it still comes up short.

I'd still like to have the solid fill for door/window jambs and sash as is available with the simple "window" plug in,

and the option of wall cavity returns.

someone worked it out for windows, why not for doors?

Bill

I agree that different size casings are useful, and in practice not that unusual; for example the public hallway side of a door has room for wide casings to match others, but the interior face may abut a wall and not have room for a wider casing, OR two rooms may be trimmed differently, as mentioned by Diana, for appearance. In the first case, it seems you can just bury the casing in the adjacent wall, although it shows up if you cut a detail.

Different size casings on the inside compared to the outside can be handled by Windoor.

My understanding was that Diana was chasing the ability to vary the sizes of the casings around the opening per side - ie. have them assymetrical rather than symetrical when viewed fom either inside or outside.

Perhaps Diana can clarify what she meant.

I received an inquiry about "solid fill"

ummm... its the color fill that can be added to a geometric form - rectangle..

I've used it to show in 2d plan the French Doors and Windows as if it were a section cut through the side sashes (as a poche) usually the same color as that used for the studs in a wall.

And a solid white for the sills/threshold.

LaVoie

I asked the question because I wasn't really sure what you were trying to get at. Most drawings apart from details are at a scale where you would hardly see the fill in those elements.

If this is what you really want then you can do a work around of making the door objects into symbols. The PIO will be the 3D part of the symbol, and you will have to separately draw ALL of the 2D view.

If you then edit the symbol you will have to edit each part separately and ensure that the two register correctly - ie. the 2D part is coincident with the 3D part.

Wouldn't it just be easier to just draw a reuseable 2D detail symbol for when you want it.

It seems to me you are stuck between a rock and a hard place - neither the NNA PIO's or the Windoor PIO do exactly what you want. You may have to accept the compromise.

[ 02-22-2005, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]