Dimension fonts

jfmarch

Question

11 answers to this question

Jim,

I agree. It seems the font editting portions were all done by different people and they never consulted one another. For example, font style and sizes in the Drawing Label Symbol can be editted from the OIP, a nice feature. Now go to the Section Marker symbol. Same type of text in the symbol but none of it can be editted through the OIP. If you need to change the font or size you need to ungroup and edit. Who was asleep at the wheel here?? Who checks this stuff before releasing??

It would be great if there was just some consistency in their reasoning1

Tom

quote:

Originally posted by tgm:

Anyone from NNA want to comment on why all the symbols using text cannot be editted using OIP as stated above???

Tom

A symbol can contain several text items, with different fonts. In the symbol definition, OIP works.

You can't edit the symbol definition without entering it anyway - why would text be different?

Here's the point..

The Drawing Label Symbol can be editted for 3 different areas of text using the OIP.

Room Name Symbol can be editted in two different lines of text.

Reference Marker, Section Marker and Detail marker also contain text just like the Dwg label Symbol but none of the can be editted using the OIP.

Why would you be able to one symbol and not the others. They are all similar in design and text content??

Tom in PA

A - ha! You are not talking about symbols, but plug-in objects. With PIOs, the programmer decides how fonts are applied; the problem with the PIO approach is that the list of fonts does not reflect your system's fonts, but is 'semi-hard coded' in the value list of the parameter. If a PIO only contains one text item (or items that logically use the same font), the font menu is a more user-friendly solution.

quote:

Jim,

Do you like the support we get from NNA on a topic like this?

Tom

tom,

the support we get from VW comes from 3 different sources. the first is interoffice questions from others using the program. the second is from this tech. board (used mosty by me). the third is from calling NNA. we rarely use the manuals- we prefer to wing it and test as we go. hence the office chatter and the tech board are the most used. the support we have gotten over the phone, while infrequent, has been good. in general we have no compliants about support...

Jim,

I agree with to some extent but some of the questions I have raised, about what I feel are serious issues, have fallen on deaf ears as far as I am concerned. Just look at the chatter on this topic alone. Has anyone from NNA chimed in?? No, because we are addressing a flaw in the software, plain and simple. You should be able to edit like symbols using the OIP, simple as that. Truly a no-brainer.

Is this going to be addressed in future releases?? Is anyone from NNA even going to look at it??

These are the questions to topics that will remain unanswered. This is my pet peeve! If nothing is ever going to be done with, tell us either way.

Enough rambling.......back to work..

Tom in PA

quote:

[You should be able to edit like symbols using the OIP, simple as that. Truly a no-brainer.

Sorry, but I really have to disagree. Firstly, PIOs and symbols are two different animals and, secondly, both can contain several text items that may or may not need to have different fonts. The user interface is anything but a no-brainer - especially if one wants to edit a symbol via the OIP. As someone who has created both PIOs and symbol libraries for others, I appreciate your position, but there is no simple solution.

I am talking about the drawing symbols contained in the resource pallete under 'Drawing Symbols'. These are all like objects and some can be altered, some cannot, as I stated above. Why shouldn't these be editted using the same type of OIP pallete?? All four items are circles with text inside. They all look the same, some with arrows, some without. The Drawing label can be editted nicely for text size within the circle, the others cannot.

Why??

To me this does not make any practical sense. One symbol I can edit through the OIP, the others I have to workaround to edit the text in any fashion.

Tom