abort rendering button

Ziska

Question

Just something to click- which would stop the rendering process- I can normally figure out if I need to reset something pretty quickly (unable to zoom in too closely and still get a "final renderworks" look), This would be a real time saver.

Maybe it's already there and I just don't see it? (Preferably something other than "force quit")?

Ziska

9 answers to this question

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bell@NNA:

Escape on both platforms, and command-(period) on the Mac, can interrupt renderings. Sometimes VectorWorks gets so deep in thought while rendering that you need to hold down the key for a bit to make sure it gets the message...

And sometimes it just doesn't work.

About 30% of the time the Esc key will not abort a render no matter how long you hold it down. And yes, I have, to test this, on more than one occasion held the esc for over 20 mins while final renders went all the way to completion.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't.

N.

I second that- final and custom only esc intermitently. not an issue to date with fast render since I what I need to see is in final render...things like glass....

In addition the file will reopen in the render mode in which it was forced to quit- which means that esc, command period and force quit aren't really doing saving you time. (and then there's that background printing thing)

I'll add my weight to this thread. Escape does not work consistently. Most of the time it has no effect, just keeps going through the render process. same with aborting printing, just keeps churning away. How difficult is it to alter the program to ensure it dumps the calculations etc. straight away.

And, yes the forced quit will only get you out the program. Once reopening the file it's back to rendering. Very frustrating !!

This is hidden line view within vectorworks I'm talking about. Which also is painfully slow. I end up sending it out to my render program and doing a basic colour render from that because Vectorworks is so painfully slow on hidden line render.

[ 10-19-2004, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

One thing to make sure of when you try to cancel the rendering is that VW is the frontmost app; the easiest way to ensure that is to choose the VW icon in the Dock (on Mac OS X). If you see the watch cursor then it is frontmost and should respond to ESC on both platforms, Command-Period on the Mac, or Control-Period on Windows. If the app is still in the background you will not be able to cancel the rendering.

VW 11 is better at checking for command-period on the Mac, it used to be that if you typed any key before trying to cancel that it wouldn't work. Now it will work whether you type another key beforehand.

If the app is indeed frontmost and it still doesn't cancel (after 20 minutes) I would suspect that the app is hung.

For OpenGL or RW modes, cancel is checked for every object during the "Geometry" phase, and for every scanline rendered during the "Render" phase.

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Donley:

[QB] If the app is indeed frontmost and it still doesn't cancel (after 20 minutes) I would suspect that the app is hung.

Then when you reopen file it goes back to the render again! and so on.

In Photoshop if I want to cancel an action it does so, straight away, after hitting the esc button.

[ 10-19-2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]