WALL SYMBOL FLIP INFO IN OBJECT INFO PALLETTE

mike m oz

Question

I would like to see information returned in the OIP about whether a door or window inserted in a wall has been flipped (ie mirrored).

The reason for this is that the the appearance of glass differs when rendered in Renderwork depending on whether the symbol has been inserted in normal orientation or mirrored.

Currently there is no way of knowing until after you render the image. You can correct 'the flip' for symetrical doors or windows quite easily but this problem means that left and right hand versions of non symetrical symbols need to be created for a correct rendering rather than just mirroring them.

The problem is not restricted to just surfaces with transparency - I have noticed variations with other surfaces as well.

Julian Carr of OzCAD has advised me that it is to do with the direction of 'surface normal' and that nothing can be done about it. I accept this as being correct. However the issue needs to be explained in the renderWorks manual and in my opinin the orientation (ie. flip or mirror) of the PIO or symbol needs to be returned in the Object info pallette so that the obvious inadvertant mirrors can be picked up easily and corrected.

PS I did try to paste an image showing this problem into here without success. I will email it to the NNA tech people and hopefully they will be kind enough to insert it in for me.

Image added 14 Jan 05 - this quite clearly shows how different the appearance is when the same symbol is mirrored.

-

[ 01-15-2005, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

9 answers to this question

Mike. As far as I know (and I've asked!) the only way to post an image to the board is as a link. Unfortunately for those of us who do not have our own website (or URL) this is not possible. Unless of course there's someone out there with free hosting of some kind. I think it would be great if NNA took this on, as it would be very helpful to have illustrations for many of the problems and solutions posted here.

Tee thing that frustrates me is I have seen posts with embedded images. Why some and not others?

Given that we are all image based people a picture would be helpful. In this case the image shows the problem in a way which words cannot adequately describe. The image would be invaluable.

I accept that we should not be able to post images directly so that malicious people can't post innapropriate images. We should however be able to send images illustrating problems to the NNA tecch people and have them insert the images on our behalf.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can "embed" an image without any help from NNA. Just find a free host to put it on, then wrap the URL in IMG tags. For example, the code for the image below is:

code:

[/code][/indent]

-

(Posts with inappropriate images would get deleted by the moderator -- I wonder if this counts?)

[ 10-15-2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Bell@NNA ]

You can post big pictures too!

But then the forum page takes a long time to load, so it's more polite to post a link to big images, by using URL in place of IMG in the formula Andrew gave.

I originally included this image in my post, and it displayed huge, but it took a long time to load. So I changed it to a link:

http://www.geocities.com/jan1550/Turret.jpg

[ 10-15-2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

Thanks to all of your efforts to show how to embed images in posts to this forum.

I think this should be spread around so we can make judicious use of illustrating our ideas, wishes, stuff that bugs us and enables those if us who have helpful responses to illustrate solutions to help others.javascript:void(0)