Update the 'Pan' tool, please!!

tgm

Question

I really thought that by now with VW11 the 'Pan' tool would work like most others these days where when you reach the edge of the screen the 'Pan' tool just jumps to the other side and you just keep panning to the correct area. Now even with the latest, you have to pan across the screen, go back and grab again etc. Very tedious on a large drawing area. Shades of old MiniCad6 still....!

Tom

4 answers to this question

Hi Tom, In VW's when you are dragging an object and reach the edge of your screen, it will automatically continue panning for you, BUT you have to be RIGHT AT THE EDGE. If you go too far it won't work. So it's a little subtle, but once you get used to it it's fairly workable.

As a follow up, I assume you know that the ARROW keys will also pan for you. I use these a lot. Say I am dragging an object, all I do is hold the object with the mouse and hit the appropriate arrow key once or twicw (or whatever) until I get where I'm going. If you haven't tried it I think you'll be pleased...

Hope that helps.

Peter

quote:

Originally posted by CipesDesign:

BUT you have to be RIGHT AT THE EDGE. If you go too far it won't work.

That wasn't a problem in version 8 and before. Drag-panning worked even if you went past the edge. Version 9 downgraded the drag-pan feature (among others), and it still hasn't been restored to its earlier, easier-to-use state.

Peter,

The panning only works as you suggested to the extents of the monitor and no further. Our design dept. has used track balls for the last 10 years and using the arrow keys as you suggested is a bear after you have used the ball and a 'real' pan tool that alows for continuous panning. I still don't get the idea of downgrading existing features that have worked in the past such as 'Extend' etc. Why screw with things that work??

Tom in PA